Watch Freeview on cinema system ?

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi Im getting really hacked off as Im dont know how the hell to connect things here.

At the moment I can watch Freeview when the tv comes on but its through the tv speakers not the cinema speakers.

Ive got a Samsung HT-TZ325 system and a Matsui freeview box. Ive only got an old analogue which doesnt have much apart from 2 scart sockets and a few other sockets. The dvd player has 1 scart socket and the freeview box has 2.

Someone on another site told me to buy a "scart to S-video out and twin phono lead" from Maplin. I have and its made no difference.

All I want is to watch tv with the surround speakers otherwise I will sell it.

Any help ?

Thanks in advance

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Matsui sounds like the cheapest Freeview box you can buy so you may well be flogging a dead horse. The Freeview box should have a left and right audio out. If so, simply connect an interconnect lead from this to the the appropriate input on your amp.

If however, as I'm suspecting, the Matsui box only has a scart output then it's assuming you're only going to be using the TV's speakers as it's sending audio and video together.

You'll have to get another FV box or a new TV with built in FW.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
simple, scart switch box which has video and audio out phono sockets, yellow, red and white.

scart lead from the free view box to scart adaptor, scart from adaptor to tv, interconnect from adaptor (red and white) to the back

of the samsung, you should have an auxillary input....jobs a good un....

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks but can you explain it in layman's terms please ! What do you mean by "scart adaptor" and "interconnect from adaptor" ?

At the moment the Samsung speakers only work if I play a dvd or cd - normal tv (never mind Freeview) doesnt come through the speakers either. Its all been connected as the instruction booklet shows though.

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You need some form of audio 'input' on the home cinema

Looking around I think it has 2 phonos (red for right and white for left) and one optical (For digital surround sound)

With this in mind the maplins s-video cable you bought 'should' work

Plug the s video part into the tv (The round connector)

the red and black connectors need to go into an INPUT on the home cinema (Though they might not be long enough to do so)

Personally id say you need something like this ~

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29903

HOWEVER

Ideally your tv will have phono OUTS (red and white connectors ~ look in the manual)

With this in mind you can connect a simple set of phono leads from the tv to the home cinema

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1020

(im NOT recommending those phonos, just showing what they look like)

Even better is if your tv has an OPTICAL out (then youd connect optical OUT of the tv to optical IN on the home cinema)

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Going off the age of your tv though id say your down to the maplins scart lead

OR ~ if your freeview box has 'phono outs' then you can connect phonos from that to the home cinema box

swiftmick

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, it looks like the best thing to do would be to ditch the old analogue TV. Buy a new tv with built in Freeview( make sure there is a digital output on the rear of the tv) feed the digital output of the tv into your samsung system this is the best way. Keep the Matsui set top box for the bedroom?

I know its expensive this way. But its better than throwing good money after bad. The Tv is just long inthe tooth.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Yeah the tv is probably the weakest part of the whole set up but I might have to wait to replace it.

As regards the Maplin cables, the ones I was sent only have red, white and yellow attachments. There isnt a black one ( Im sure the ones I ordered had a black one in the photo - what do the different colours actually relate to ?) So if I dont have black will that make a huge difference ?

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Red is RIGHT channel sound

White is LEFT channel sound

Yellow is VIDEO COMPOSITE (The worst quality video there is)

So you 'could' use it, but the actual picture quality will be a bit 'fuzzy' looking

RGB SCART is the best you can get out of your setup (Assuming your tv accepts RGB scart as does the freeview player and ill assume both do). RGB means the colours are separated in Red Green and Blue as opposed to all muddled together (As in composite)

You would probably also need to switch on RGB from within the freeview boxes menu

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I found a couple of leads on the shelf and connected them from the tv to the cinema unit - 2 red and 2 white - but again, no difference.

I noticed that the cinema unit says "digital audio in" - my tv is an analogue tv so does that mean that it will make no difference as its not a digital tv ?

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
ok just read the instructions on your samsung, yes you have an auxillary input.

yes you can get sound from your freeview box into the samsung, get down to argos and purchase item no 534/9687.

a scart switch box, the scart lead that comes out of the box goes into the tv, you then need another scart lead that goes from the scart box to the freeview box.

notice you also have audio out on the box, red and white phono sockets, run two phonos from there to the auxillary input on the back of the samsung....

you also have extra scart inputs on the box, if you have any more kit with scart output plug them in to it and you can switch between items.

thats a scart switch box.....

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Sorry Ive done what you suggested and still no joy. However, let me get this right - the lead from the switch box goes into the back of one of the freeview box ports (done), theres a scart from the box to one of the ports on the back of the tv (done) and finally Ive plugged in the cinema system's scart to the switch box as well. The result is nothing from the freeview box.

The instructions that came with the switch box said to plug it into the back of the tv (which I did) and then put the scarts in the box. The result ? Well the freeview picture was there but the sound was no different to that from the original setup. i.e. nothing has changed.

For the cinema system to work it needs to be on with the scart lead in, so for the freeview to get sound through the cinema speakers it needs to overide the actual cinema kit ? At the moment this seems impossible as the hcm is just a dvd player with good speakers and I cant see how the freeview box can play on the hcm av channel and allow you access to the speakers too.

I think an earlier post said something about the speakers being part of the kit and so cant used with other things. It could be £17 down the drain for the switch box.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Afternoon... Your nearly there.

OK. The lead from the scart adaptor goes into the back of the tv, you run another scart from the adaptor to the free view box. That will get you sound and a picture from the TV.

Next you want to plug a phono lead from the scart adaptor ( red and white plugs) into the auxillary input on the Samsung.

Turn the volume down on the TV select auxillary on the Samsung and you should have audio from the free view box running through the Samsung.....

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hey ! Nice one - success - I owe you a pint ! When I connected it there was only hiss from the speakers but I mixed the phone leads round - seems they needed to be in the audio in bit on the scart box.

Ive another question. So now the setup is as you described in your last post. So can I plug the scart from the Samsung into the scart box and, if so, how will they affect or mess up the present set up i.e. how do I keep it okay for the Freeview volume and how do I keep it okay as a dvd player. I take it that if the Samsung is fully connected, it will always overide the Freeview as regards the speakers ?

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Plug the scart lead from the Samsung into the scart adaptor, you can select what goes to the tv by pressing the buttons on the scart adaptor.

On the Samsung just select dvd instead of auxillary...
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts