Warm sounding Speakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a good warm sounding speaker?

I'm after stand mount speakers due to the small room they are to be used in and I do like the sound of the Wharfedale diamond 9.1 but wonder if there are speakers out there with a similar warm sound. I have a budget of up to about £500.

Thank you in advance.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Some will say they have a harsh treble, but i think monitor audio br2s are very warm, positively lush with things like find the river by rem. Theyll set you back about 130 brand new i think.

just something to kick you of before others with more experience chip in.

A

Anonymous

Thank you quick reply al7478.

I think you're right about the BR2 being warm if they are anything like the BR1's but I really like that silky smooth treble of the 9.1's as well as the warmth.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Old now but the Acoustic Energy AE100's were cracking little speakers and had a warm/smooth sound to them; more so when partnered with Arcam :)

You could also consider the AE Aelite 2's

A

Anonymous

Thanks dan1979

I had a try of my brothers AE109's a few weeks ago and they did sound good apart from being floor standing speakers in a small room. I saw a pair of 100's on ebay awhile back and was tempted to bid - wish I had now! I do like the way the little Wharfedale's sound though and would really like to find a simillar sound but a better version of it, if that makes any sense.

A

Anonymous

i think you,ve answered your own question,£500 budget,get the 9.1,s decent cable and the rest on the music of choice.Thats you sorted.

NEXT.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Pauljrd6

I like your suggestion and it sounds almost realistic except it would mean that I don't get to scratch the upgrade itch.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
al7478:

Some will say they have a harsh treble, but i think monitor audio br2s are very warm, positively lush with things like find the river by rem. Theyll set you back about 130 brand new i think.

just something to kick you of before others with more experience chip in.

i should add that theyre not the last word in excitement, just in the interests of balance.

A

Anonymous

Thats the thing with hi fi,been there and done it,but i found i was listening to the equipment and not the music,sold a lot of my gear and

ended up with the relativly budget system ,ive got now but i am now enjoying actually listenig to music and not the system,if that makes

any sense.

A

Anonymous

I see what you are saying and I know in the past I've got carried away with the sound of the equipment instead of the music. I don't actually own the 9.1's I'm listening to. A friend of mine has let me try them to see what I think and I really am very impressed just enjoying the music. I guess I posed the question to see if I should be spending my hard earned on a pair of these or spend a little more on something 'better'. Maybe more expensive doesn't mean more musical?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Guess You are happy with that sound.I also went for an upgrade and then sent it all back...it's not worth the fuss.

A

Anonymous

I am happy with the sound I guess. Why did you send it all back? What kit are you using?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Got a yamaha ax.497.sent back.then marantz pm 4001.better but I hated the bass. sent back.Cambridge audio s30.sent back...lol only kept a tangent millenium 5.1 set, wich is connected to my crappy budget home cinema, but at leats sounds much less bright than the aluminium speakers that came with it.

A

Anonymous

When I considered a similar setup to yours (I have the Planet but am undecided about the amp as yet), the Rega R1s were recommended to me. I haven't heard them, but what WHF says about them in their review sounds like 'warm' to me.

Hedgehog

PS And there is a successor model now, which might be even better, though I wouldn't know for sure. But surely both would be worth trying, since you obviously rate the brand.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Superb and indeed smooth as the Wharfedale 9.1s are, your Rega Planet deserves a higher-end pair of speakers. You could consider keeping it in the IAG family with a rich pair of Quad speakers, or go with class-leading all-round ability with the B&W 685 speakers (as long as you have hefty stands).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Clare. I haven't listened to any of the Quad speakers although I have seen them and they do look very well finished. What model would you recommend? I've listened to the B&W's and I'm far too aware of the tweeter even though you could hardly call them bright. I guess the soft tweeter on the 9.1's make them seem more invisible to my ears.

A

Anonymous

Thanks also for your suggestion of the Rega speakers Hedgehog. I've not heard those either but I was under the impression from what I've read that they have a more 'up and at em' sound. I will have a listen when I can get to the Rega dealer for sure. It would be good if they did work. As it is, the Planet CD player works beautifully with the Brio amp so it would make sense to try them as you say.

A

Anonymous

I will certainly do that and report back with my findings.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
its all for music:
I will certainly do that and report back with my findings.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

B&W CM1. Superior in every respect to the 6 series stand mounts. Somewhat restraint dynamically, as expected considering the tiny dimensions but better xover components and all the warmth you need.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Drummerman, Now thats a nice looking little speaker. Looks like my audition list is getting longer. The only thing about the CM1 is it's low sensitivity and I wonder if my little Brio amp would have sufficient muscle to drive them. Having said that, I'm sure I read on here somewhere that someone was driving Dynaudio's with the Brio and they're not exactly the easiest of loads.

A

Anonymous

Stunning the 9.1 recommendations kept coming given your budget, system and requirements. I think Clare hit the nail, though would avoid Dynaudio with the Brio and personally wouldn't touch the CM1 either.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I suggest the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 1 or 2 and Wharfedale Evo 2 8 or 10. They are on the warm side, with more detail than W. Diamond 9.1

A

Anonymous

Octopo,not really so stunning when you read most of his posts,it is he who keeps saying how much he likes the 9.1,s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts