Warm and smooth sounding interconnects

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi :)

This is my first post here! Glad to be a part of this community now.

I am on the lookout for a pair of warm sounding interconnects. I have been looking at Nordost and MIT Cables just because I have heard other people saying that they are really high-end. I'm not saying that it has to be them as I have no idea if they are warm sounding or not. I was hoping that you fellow members could help stear me in the right direction.

Budget is around 1000 GBP/ 1700 USD.

Thanks for your time.

Christian

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Christian and welcome.

Nordost are fast and lean, but imo not warm.

Maybe look to Cardas or Van den Hul....I have no experience with MIT.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Christian and welcome to the forum.

It might help if we knew what components you have in your system and what interconnects you are using at the moment. £1000 is a lot to spend on interconnects unless you have a really extravagant sytem. IMHO Interconnects will only make very subtle if any effect on sound quality. See if a dealer will lend you some for a home demo. It may be better to spend some of your £1000 on speakers or electronics to achieve your goals.

Cheers.

T

the record spot

ccbj said:
Hi :)

This is my first post here! Glad to be a part of this community now.

I am on the lookout for a pair of warm sounding interconnects. I have been looking at Nordost and MIT Cables just because I have heard other people saying that they are really high-end. I'm not saying that it has to be them as I have no idea if they are warm sounding or not. I was hoping that you fellow members could help stear me in the right direction.

Budget is around 1000 GBP/ 1700 USD.

Thanks for your time.

Christian

Hi Christian, welcome to the forum. What is the rest of your system?

A

Anonymous

My system is as follows:

Macbook Pro > Wavelength Audio Crimson USB DAC > Woo Audio WA-5 LE Headphone Amplifier > Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

If 1000 GBP/1700 USD is too much to pay for cables and it doesn't change that much in the system I think I will be looking at cheaper cables. But, the above mentioned gear I have is worth around 16500 USD. So naturally I want something that compliments the system in the best possible way.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Buy $1650 of music and $50 of basic pro interconnects.

Alternatively, send me $1700 (I can supply my email address for a paypal transfer) and I will send you the best interconnects you could ask for.

T

the record spot

ccbj said:
My system is as follows:

Macbook Pro > Wavelength Audio Crimson USB DAC > Woo Audio WA-5 LE Headphone Amplifier > Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

If 1000 GBP/1700 USD is too much to pay for cables and it doesn't change that much in the system I think I will be looking at cheaper cables. But, the above mentioned gear I have is worth around 16500 USD. So naturally I want something that compliments the system in the best possible way.

In which case, spending that kind of money on cables isn't it. Better off spending a tenth of that and then investing the money elsewhere in your stereo. Money wasted otherwise.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
ccbj said:
My system is as follows:

In which case, spending that kind of money on cables isn't it. Better off spending a tenth of that and then investing the money elsewhere in your stereo. Money wasted otherwise.

Okay I hear what you are saying. It will be nice not having to pay top dollar. I just didn't know if it was needed but I hear a lot of people saying that it is not worth the money. Guess I had to hear it for myself. Thanks for giving your heads up. :)

hyettdman

May 30, 2011
Visit site
hi chrisian, buy some interconnects off ebay called 'chunky cables'. The bloke who sells them makes them himself and they have a good quality built and the connections are solid. But most of all they sound brilliant.They sound better than a lot of interconnects i've heard that have big price tags hanging over them. They are £24 and worth every penny.check his feedback out and read what others have said about them.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No interconnects debate always be non believers, I think based on room acoustic limitations i.e. at the limit of what their room will let them hear - try some cheap nasties if you want or actually read up and try some better models.

With headphone you dont have to worry about acoustics so you will hear very well if the interconnect makes the difference

I have not heard them - however I would check out Graham Slee Cusat - he makes headphones amps and his best sounds like a valve amp, all complimented by his interconnects - I have a feeling they will be warm, sounding but still detailed, realistic sounding

I want to try them but know I will end up buying them and havent the money for that at the minute

They are approx £150 UK pounds depending on length so not silly money.

If you read up on the GSP Forum, lots of science as to why they are designed the way they are and a lot of shunning of snake oil products ;)

A

Anonymous

Big thanks for sharing your information. I will have a look at those cable makers. It sounds like a steal at that price. Thanks again for referring them!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Siltech 550i or the 770i if you want to destroy your budget. So musical, love the highs.

Transparent Audio are maybe worth auditioning if you're in the US, but I haven't heard any myself.

I think the only way to know is to demo some with your kit. They all give a different flavour and only you can decide what you like and what it's worth it to you to pay. Or maybe you won't hear a difference compared to a $10 interconnect* and you can spend the money on something else.

* - I doubt it, but you never know!

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
ccbj, you will find there is huge disagreement from hifi lovers on cables, and entrenched positions bettween the 'it's all marketing and snake oil' to the 'no, you really can tell the difference' camps.

I don't intend to start that debate again here, but one thing that is really useful to understand that (I think/hope) everyone can agree on is that a cable can never be more than the sum of the parts of your existing system. In other words, it doesn't produce the sound - your source, amp and speakers does that, and all a good cable can possibly do is to keep that original source in as good a condition as possible before passing it over to your amp. So in theory the best cable is actually no cable at all, but of course with seperates that isn't possible.

That said, on less than perfect systems some people do use cables as a rough and ready EQ device where they (may) take off some of the low or high frequences. Now of course that would make the cable 'bad' because it isn't transmitting the original signal, and of course it is arguable that if you want to change your system's EQ you should get a proper equaliser rather than a piece of wire, but fashion comes into play here (equaliser's on hifi are so 1980s, wheras cables are rather trendy right now).

My best advice would be to see if you can demo any cables (or use those suppliers that offer free trials and money back if not happy) and use your own ears as your guide. You can also perhaps look to get a few s/h cables at decent prices from ebay and then re-sell the ones you don't end up using.

Personally I think one well made shielded copper wire with good connections is as good as another (more or less) in most average kit, but for quality and value for money you could do a lot worse than a Linn Black (£20-£30 s/h), Mark Grant G1000HD (£45 new) or perhaps a Kimbre Timbre (around £40-£50 s/h). I've tried all of those and they are all very good at being pieces of copper wire ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
My best advice would be to see if you can demo any cables (or use those suppliers that offer free trials and money back if not happy) and use your own ears as your guide. You can also perhaps look to get a few s/h cables at decent prices from ebay and then re-sell the ones you don't end up using.

Which ever side of the debate you are on, this advice is (imo) absolutely fair and correct.

A

Anonymous

Captain Duff said:
ccbj, you will find there is huge disagreement from hifi lovers on cables, and entrenched positions bettween the 'it's all marketing and snake oil' to the 'no, you really can tell the difference' camps.

I don't intend to start that debate again here, but one thing that is really useful to understand that (I think/hope) everyone can agree on is that a cable can never be more than the sum of the parts of your existing system. In other words, it doesn't produce the sound - your source, amp and speakers does that, and all a good cable can possibly do is to keep that original source in as good a condition as possible before passing it over to your amp. So in theory the best cable is actually no cable at all, but of course with seperates that isn't possible.

That said, on less than perfect systems some people do use cables as a rough and ready EQ device where they (may) take off some of the low or high frequences. Now of course that would make the cable 'bad' because it isn't transmitting the original signal, and of course it is arguable that if you want to change your system's EQ you should get a proper equaliser rather than a piece of wire, but fashion comes into play here (equaliser's on hifi are so 1980s, wheras cables are rather trendy right now).

Personally I think one well made shielded copper wire with good connections is as good as another (more or less) in most average kit, but for quality and value for money you could do a lot worse than a Linn Black (£20-£30 s/h), Mark Grant G1000HD (£45 new) or perhaps a Kimbre Timbre (around £40-£50 s/h). I've tried all of those and they are all very good at being pieces of copper wire ;)

Thanks for giving your opinion on this matter. Most of the guys who have replied to this thread think I should spent a tenth of what I initially told I was going to use. I also hear where you are coming from and I really value your input. I think I will look at those cables you mentioned, perhaps I will be just as happy with them as opposed to the 1000 GBP ones.

Thanks again for your reply.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you are in America, you could do worse than give Dan a ring here:
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/interconnect_cable

Cardas should give you the sound you are after, and start at a "half reasonable" price with the Crosslink...he's great to deal with and should let you return them if they don't work out.

A

Anonymous

shooter said:
I interested to know how the Senn's sound plugged directly into the MacPro.

To be honest I don't know. Never tried it. Have only done it through my current amp/dac setup.

TRENDING THREADS