Want to connect my New TV to my HIFI

Jensen79

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Would like to use our TV as a sound machine ! Send music to it by WIFI, youtube,Deezer & USB key etc ...

Anybod tell me how I can connect our Samsung UE46ES6570 to our old Nad amp Hi Fi as it does'nt seem to have any output jacks (has some but they are imput) and my amp defo does'nt have any of that HDMI malarky.

Thanks in advance

Jensen

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jensen,

The simplest route is to use the audio optical output from the TV.

You'll need a digital optical cable, and you'll need something to connect it to. You say you have an 'old NAD amp', which I assume has no DAC. Therefore you'll need to connect the TV either to a freestanding DAC (which then connects to your amp) or to a CD or DVD/Bluray player, assuming you have one of these with an optical input.

Matt

Jensen79

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
matt49 said:
Hi Jensen,

The simplest route is to use the audio optical output from the TV.

You'll need a digital optical cable, and you'll need something to connect it to. You say you have an 'old NAD amp', which I assume has no DAC. Therefore you'll need to connect the TV either to a freestanding DAC (which then connects to your amp) or to a CD or DVD/Bluray player, assuming you have one of these with an optical input.

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply!

Yeh come to earth with a BANG realy ! Was badly informed at the shop where we bought the TV, everthing we have (DVD,Sat modulator,CD,etc...) is "old school" scart plug !!!

So I will have to buy somthing that will take a digital optical cable that I can connect to my amp .

Cheers jensen

Jensen79

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Use the headphone output to connect to the amp with a 3.5mm to 2 phono lead.

Cheers ! I have tried this but I have to put the volume up on the TV to max & volume on the amp to max and it's still no way near loud enough !

The joys of modern technology !

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Jensen79 said:
So I will have to buy somthing that will take a digital optical cable that I can connect to my amp .

That's right - optical DACs come in all shapes, sizes and prices. At its very basic, something like this will do the job, but depending on other requirements, you can buy ones that look nicer on your rack and also have more connectivity options e.g. USB for computer based audio etc. like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 - this isn't a recommendation, just an example to demonstrate the plethora of options!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
Jensen79 said:

That's right - optical DACs come in all shapes, sizes and prices. At its very basic, something like this will do the job, but depending on other requirements, you can buy ones that look nicer on your rack and also have more connectivity options e.g. USB for computer based audio etc. like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 - this isn't a recommendation, just an example to demonstrate the plethora of options!

Or for £33 this Lindy DAC, admittedly a bit pricier than Prof Hat's cheap-as-chips suggestion.

Jensen79

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for all your help :clap: I will get one of them DAC jobbies then .

I was told by the salesman that everthing would just plug in, asked him about 3 times if I needed any othyer leads etc.... What a clown !

Thanks once again

Jensen

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the specs for that model shows it has a scart socket. If this can be set as an output, a scart to RCA lead would be cheaper than a DAC. However you would probably get better sound from a cheerful DAC.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jensen79 said:
Thank you for all your help :clap: I will get one of them DAC jobbies then .

I was told by the salesman that everthing would just plug in, asked him about 3 times if I needed any othyer leads etc.... What a clown !

Thanks once again

Jensen

Was it Currys by any chance?

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
As above.

Cheap DAC of Evil Bay or Amazon about a tenner, Optical cable TV to DAC.

Or plan B. Take the ouput from the Scart on the TV to 2 RCA phonos, use any spare Input on your amp. Just make sure the cable is long enough.

The cheap DACS all need a Wall Wart power supply, or you could pick up a FiiO D3 DAC, better build quality than the cheapies and if you have a spare USB port on say a Sky or Tivo box you can take the power from that and save the hassle of a Wall Wart. Turn on the box and the Fiio switches on.

I bought one for my Daughters Samsung Plasma, once you have heard the difference even with 2 channel stereo, compared to the TV speakers....:dance:

Jensen79

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies .

I can confirm that there is NO scart plug on the back of the TV ????

I have already ordered a Dac & lead from Amazon .

No it was currys ! I forgot to mention that I live in France ! Got the TV from a place called Darty, realy disapointed with the service,info & lies I was told. Unfourtunatly we live to far away from the shop to take the TV back and throw it at the salesman :twisted:

Hopefully all will be sorted with the help of you guys :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I hope that does what you want.

When I'm watching TV or DVDs/Blurays, I always pipe the TV sound via optical and DAC into my hifi. For spoken-word material I use the speakers in the TV to supplement the hi-fi sound, which I find works pretty well. Of course, you can adjust the relative balance between TV audio and hi-fi depending on what sort of material you're watching.

It's not a "proper" AV set-up, but it suits me, as I have no space for or interest in surround sound.

Matt

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
If when you have got your DAC and connected it up to the amp you only get something that sounds like white noise or similar you might have to dive into the TV's sound settings and change the SPDIF Selection to PCM. I had to do this then all worked fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts