wall mounting our new TV

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Per my other threads(!), I'm looking at getting a new TV - either Pioneer 428XD, or Sony 40W3000. The TV will be wall mounted, and we'd obviously like to get it as close to the wall as possible. My question - how close can it get? For example, the Pioneer's manual says it needs to be 10cm away from a wall - so although it's nice and thin, at 12cm, by the time it's wall mounted, if 10cm from the wall the display itself will be nearly a foot proud of the wall! Also, above where the TV will be mounted, we have some shallow aluminium shelves fixed to the wall. Looks like there will be about 30cm clearance between the top of the TV and the underside of the shelf. In a way, I'm more worried about heat from the TV discoloring the aluminium than the TV overheating, since the shelves were more expensive than the TV! Is a 30cm clearance OK? Finally, am I right in thinking that a centre speaker of a surround system has to be dead centre underneath the TV? I ask because there will be nothing below the centre of the TV, but there is a long, low unit which will run underneath the left hand edge of the TV, where I could put the 'centre' speaker. I don't really want to 'permanently' wall mount the speaker into the wall below the TV because I might want to upgrade the speakers at some point without leaving ugly damage to the wall, and in any case I (and of course my lovely wife) think it would look ugly and be a dust trap! I really appreciate all the help I'm getting here!

A

Anonymous

I have my 42inch Plasma mounted on an Omnimount Wall Bracket: £69.99 online from Dixons.It's a robust bracket, very neat, and very,very strong! Also easy to fit and the two column brackets that come with the actual wall bracket are a doddle to fit onto the back of the TV. You then just lift the TV into position and your'e done.

There is at least a 6cm gap between the back of my TV and the wall itself, enough room to slot in other connections underneath by hand and it looks great on the wall over a brick fireplace that isn't used for a real fire but does gave one of those electric log wood fire effect heaters in there which I just use for the glow effect.

Go for the omnimount-it's a great wall bracket and not as flimsy looking as some I saw before deciding that the Omnimount was in fact the correct one to get. Don't go into Currys to buy it as it will cost yu £169.99. Instead go onto their sister Dixons website and buy it for £69.99 and have it delivered to your door.

The actual heat from my TV if you can call it Heat ( more like warmth really) rises upward through the grills at the back-It doesn't travel 90 degrees and hit the wall so for me there's no problem.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
That sounds like a good solution - although I'd still like to get it closer if I can. I notice from Pioneer's website that their own wall bracket seems pretty shallow - like it would mount the TV much closer to the wall than the 10cm it suggests in the manual. Like you said, I would have thought most of the heat would be coming out the top of the thing in any case.

With the Sony being LCD, and therefore I would guess running a bit cooler, could I get that any closer to the wall?

A

Anonymous

My advice is not to have it too close to the wall-You need an adquate amount of venilations space for air to circulate around the Tv properly otherwise it will become warmer around that area and don't forget you need to be able to slot in other connections relatively easily be hand too, otherwise it means having to lift off the TV from the wall bracket........mind you it's very easy to do

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts