Waiting...

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have just ordered some new speakers and the wait for them is driving me mad. How have other upgraders coped at this difficult time? Please help.

I am not allowed alcohol due to medication!

Thanks, Crossie.

A

Anonymous

Firstly, wha I recommend whilst waiting that you listen to music on a really crabby old tinny mini system, then when you do finally get your new babies they will sound sublime!

A

Anonymous

Hi Crossie,

what level of expertise do you need to construct the Wilmslow speakers?

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
My current speakers are Wilmslow pheonix (DIY stand mounters based on Scanspeak drivers) I am adding a pair of bespoke bass extender cabinets with a pair of Volt 10" drivers and new 3 way crossovers. Can't wait to put it all together.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
They are relatively easy to do if you have some basic tools and a deal of patience. The cabinets really look the business if you take time to finish them well. Here is my current speaker set up:

5415484786_8f3ca7eefa_m.jpg
5414874043_1f25ec5aa6_m.jpg

I am going to replace the stands with cabinets holding the 10" volts and new crossovers to make the speakers 3 way, a little bit like Wilson Watt puppies but at a fraction of the price.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Crossie said:
I have just ordered some new speakers and the wait for them is driving me mad. How have other upgraders coped at this difficult time? Please help.

I am not allowed alcohol due to medication!

Thanks, Crossie.

Um...I'm very sure they've not taken to drink.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Crossie said:
I am adding a pair of bespoke bass extender cabinets with a pair of Volt 10" drivers and new 3 way crossovers. Can't wait to put it all together.

Sounds interesting, what frequency is the crossover?

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
To be honest I don't know the crossover frequencies - Wilmslow Audio are designing them for me. I will find out and let you know.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
For a moment I thought your floor might be askew until I realised you posted 2 separate photos (doh!)

Speakers look fantastic - must feel like a real accomplishment to finish them to the standard you have.

Make sure to post some pictures when the new kit arrives :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
your (beautiful) speakers are too big for my room but I'd have your Cyrus kit off you in a shot lol

must be great to have the skill to be able to make something useful like those speakers Well done.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, they are not that difficult to make. Bang for buck this is the cheapest way of getting high end speakers (IMHO). I would really recommend having a go at a Wilmslow kit.

On the other tack I am not allowed to smoke either.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

nice speakers! Did yours come with a veneer? After assembly did you have to varnish / laquer?

Thanks!

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Cabinets come as a flat pack with various options for the finish. I chose an Oak veneer and then used a beeswax polish to finish.

A

Anonymous

sweet, so you got a good finish without having to use spray paints / polishes.

I've been thinking about diy speaker kits and this has definately spiked my interest.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts