TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the 861 and the 861se both are stunning examples of what a CD player can do. I have no experience of the Opus, at this level a proper demonstration is essential.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have heard Opus 21 on 2 occasions and both time left me feeling wanted more! With your Chapters and Sonus Faber I would prefer Wadia as a source (again it's my personal taste).

Marantz SA-7S1 GamuT CD3 also should be on your demo list. Good luck mate

Edit: Took Ayre off the as amp/speakers deserve even better source.

A

Anonymous

Hey Thaiman, thanks for your suggestions.

Interesting, what would you say were the Opus's weaknesses? (I may be a bit too used to it, and haven't compared it to anything else for over a year)

I am looking for a bigger sound and deeper bass, and perhaps a more refined treble, but not sure I'd want to sacrifice any musicality for something more "digital" sounding...

What is your cd player now?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Opus sounded light....too light! very hifi which is not what I like very much....sorry Pete.

May be I was expecting too much from resolution Audio player, afterall no one ever write one bad word about the 21.

I did A/B it with a similar price Sugden Masterclass and while the Opus tick most of Hifi boxes, it left me cold. Sugden however kept me focus on bass note, kick drum and really is more organic sounding machine if doesn't seem to extract as much details as the 2 boxes machine. As for what is the best upgrade, I am not too sure to be honest with you. Electrocompaniet ECD DAC (or EMC1 UP player) will give you (a lot) deeper bass and a tad more open sound but will sound bright if partner wrongly. Wadia 861 should give you more of everything (well it should at that price
emotion-7.gif
) and the pre-out is suppose to be as good as many dedicated pre too so you could saving some money! other would be Naim CDX 2/XPS but you know as well as I do mate, at this level, you have to spend 100% to get 30% improvement (30% if you are lucky!)

A

Anonymous

That's interesting as I found the Resolution Audio the opposite of what I think you mean by "hifi" (artificial/unnatural/unorganic?), but that's probably because I upgraded from a Benchmark DAC which is a bit artificial/clinical sounding.

As you say, the built-in pre is part of the plan because I still don't have a preamp and I'm not keen on getting too many boxes esp as I'm about to add a blueray player (BD-55) to my rack.

Btw, just got a set of Nordost Ti Pulsar Points - I'm still in shock as to how dramatic a difference they've made: more liquid, more open, more dynamic, more depth, more separation, tighter bass.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
What do you using with Chapter as a pre at the moment?

As for Nordost, I have play with a few before and all I say is if you are shock with the Nordost, Virtual Dynamics would give you a heart attack!
emotion-5.gif

BTW, Shadow Audio still have my old Mcintosh CD player which also have a build in preamp at a bargain price (you could ask for a home demo and see what he will say) but I am being dead honest with you here that the dedicate Preamp always sound so much better than the variable outputs on CD player (with may be exception of Wadia). In this case less box could mean less sound! and I am sure that you wouldn't want to hear just 70% of what Sonus and Chapter can do!

A

Anonymous

I'm using the Opus as preamp. It's supposed to be a very good preamp, but I've never tried adding a separate preamp. I decided to go for the GNSC mods on the Opus, as I really like the balance of my current system, I just want to push it forward esp deep bass, dynamics etc - stuff that GNSC is supposed to work magic on. GNSC modify both Wadias and Resolution Audios and the guy Steve said that a modified Opus would sound better than a stock 861. So anyway, no Wadia. Of course, this leaves future improvement possible in the shape of a preamp, possibly a really good tube one (Audio Research maybe) to give the midrange extra sparkle :)

A

Anonymous

Re: Virtual Dynamics. Nordost Pulsar Points are metal support cones, which I have under my speakers and equipment stand, and the improvement is really astounding. Virtual Dynamics don't seem to make that kind of thing...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts