Volume difference between my two speakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everybody,

Although i'm a newby here i follow this site and forum regularly.I have a question for the wise ones.I've just purchased a pair of Wharfedale 10.7 speakers.I feed them with a Denon PMA-500AE and a Denon DCD-510AE.I'm very satisfied with the system.I recognized something today and it confused me.I was testing the speakers with Bass i love you and when the low frequencies hit on the speakers i saw that the low woofer on the right moves in and out but the one on the left does nothing.It just vibrates a little bit.And it seems like the speakers have a little volume difference.Or maybe i hear it that way.Is this because the track recorded that way or may there be a problem with my speakers? I bought them 2nd hand with warranty and receipt.they're like never been used brand new speakers.This makes me uncomfortable.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you got anything that will play in mono? That way the speaker excursions should be the same which would help settle the matter.

A

Anonymous

no i don't have anything but is it ok if i convert a stereo song to mono using a music software? will it also do the job?

A

Anonymous

I've converted the song to mono and played it again.same thing happened.The right woofer shakes and moves in and out at very low frequencies but the left one does nothing.Seems like it doesn't react to the bass coming from the source.

And btw, the mid woofer on the left one (the one which has the problem) moves in and out like the right one at low frequencies.But only the low woofer seems like it doesn't do the job.

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Another check is to simply swap the speakers round and see what happens. The 'new' right speaker should behave the same as the original one and the 'new' left speaker the same as the original one. If not you have a problem. Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.I switched the interconnect cables and connected the right speaker to left and vice versa.Same thing happened.The same faulty woofer did nothing again even i connected it to the other channel.I think this is a factory defect. I'll contact the dealer and tell them to replace the speaker with e new one. I hope they accept this.My speaker are just one month old.And this seems to be something that i didn't cause.

hallowed said:
Thanks for your replies.I switched the interconnect cables and connected the right speaker to left and vice versa.Same thing happened.The same faulty woofer did nothing again even i connected it to the other channel.I think this is a factory defect. I'll contact the dealer and tell them to replace the speaker with e new one. I hope they accept this.My speaker are just one month old.And this seems to be something that i didn't cause.

This may sound like a silly suggestion but try switching the right speaker to the left and left to right. This will indicate either faulty speaker or channel on amp.

Edit - sorry, already been suggested. Didn't see it...

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
hallowed said:

This may sound like a silly suggestion but try switching the right speaker to the left and left to right. This will indicate either faulty speaker or channel on amp.

I did it.Nothing changed.The mid-woofer-mid and treble cones of the left speaker works just fine like the right one.But the low woofer doesn't react properly to low frequencies.This seems to be a speaker issue and factory defect.Not any other possibility comes to my mind.anyway thanks alot for your help.

hallowed said:
plastic penguin said:
hallowed said:

I did it.Nothing changed.The mid-woofer-mid and treble cones of the left speaker works just fine like the right one.But the low woofer doesn't react properly to low frequencies.This seems to be a speaker issue and factory defect.Not any other possibility comes to my mind.anyway thanks alot for your help.

Is there an audible difference? Try connecting to headphones before sending them back.

A

Anonymous

i tested the speakers using a tone generator software.Playing the 100hz frequency the right woofer gives the frequency very good.but the left woofer has no sound.I mean it's completely dead.Not even a buzz.Could this happen because of misuse? I've never used the speakers with extreme volume.And my amplifier gives just 70W per channel @4ohms.So i guess it's hard for me to damage the speaker.Factory defection seems to be the highest possibility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts