volume control

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello.

I am trying to find out if a cd-player can control the volume output over coaxial connectors.
I have a pair of powered speakers with a dac included and with my present configuration (dvd player -> coaxial output -> speakers) i can't control the volume output from the dvd player.
As a note, the speakers don't have a volume control, but a sensitivity knob.As a result the volume output of the speakers is pretty high.

Thank you

A

Anonymous

I don't think that will solve my problem. I don't know of any preamp that can handle digital in and digital out.
So i was wandering if there are any chances that i can control the volume from the source of the digital signal (a cd player or a dvd player)

A

Anonymous

I guess there's such things as separate digital volume controls.

But generally it's a bad idea to control volume on a digital input level (before the upsampling done by a DAC). It will degrade the signal.

Putting an analog volume control between the DAC and the speakers is the kosher way to do it. Such controls are sold by shops that deals with professional studio equipment, and will be about 1/10 of the prize of a pre amp of similar quality (though hardly as convenient).

John Duncan

Agreeing broadly with posts above - controlling volume digitally rather than analoguely is not such a good idea (but may not matter unless absolute fidelity is required, or achievable with your equipment). What speakers are they?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Agreeing broadly with posts above - controlling volume digitally rather than analoguely is not such a good idea (but may not matter unless absolute fidelity is required, or achievable with your equipment). What speakers are they?

the speakers
http://www.infra-sonic.com/site/p_ReferenceMonitors_blow5d.php
are not that great but they work for me :)
I was trying to use the DAC included in the speakers.....if that's not possible i'll stick to the analog.
i hoped that the cd player could give a control over the digital source from -40db to 0db or something like that.

A

Anonymous

How about 'digitalical'? Would using that term expose me as a stupid foreigner?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Agreeing broadly with posts above - controlling volume digitally rather than analoguely is not such a good idea (but may not matter unless absolute fidelity is required, or achievable with your equipment). What speakers are they?
Although Wadia is pretty bloody good at their Digital Volume Control. I really should buy one of their Decoding Computers one day. Then again I'd rather have a car than a DAC...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts