Virgin V+ Box Waste of money

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I feel that this is a total waste of money!... if anything you pay more to get 1 channel! BBC HD! its not even bbc its a trial version

Does any1 know when further HD channels will become available? they updated the boxes with Sky1,2,3 thankfully! in december but i want the movie channels :(

I wish i was with sky if im honest

Thaks for any replies

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
TBH, if you got it solely for the HD, then it was probably a poor choice and I can understand why you would be disappointed.

No worse (in all reality) than freesat though.

However, the v+ box also performs the function of a PVR a la Sky+, and that combined with all the on-demand stuff make it a good choice for a lot of people. If you get broadband/phone as well, then it can be quite attractive price-wise.

The missus loves all the on-demand stuff, particularly the music and iplayer...

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
silentsnake:

I feel that this is a total waste of money!... if anything you pay more to get 1 channel! BBC HD! its not even bbc its a trial version

Does any1 know when further HD channels will become available? they updated the boxes with Sky1,2,3 thankfully! in december but i want the movie channels :(

I wish i was with sky if im honest

Thaks for any replies

Depends how you look at it, Sky HD has more HD channels and is better in that respect, but the V+ is not a total waste of time. Just by being able to connect via HDMI gives you far better SD picture quality on all channels. You can also haggle over price with Virgin Media and get a good deal.

If you haven't got either, then go with Sky HD, especially with the price incentive they're giving at the moment (remember £100 Quidco). If you're already with Virgin ring up, go to the I want to leave line and quote the Sky HD deal and Carphone Warehouse phone/broadband package and you'll more than likely get a Sky beating deal.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies

i mean its anoying to see that SKY are injoying all these Sky movie channels in HD, but i guess Virgin have finally began to try and make deals with channels to bring HD content. im guessing it wont be any time soon that we will see the Sky channels on Virgin? :(

i mean i must admit the prices for virgin are not that bad its just that i hoped to get more then i acctually recieved :(

A

Anonymous

To Pete (above)

I'm about to renew my V+ deal, about £85 all in.

Just what is the current Sky/Carphone W / Quidco package deal in ££££'s

No huge paragraphs, please, just the facts n figures!

I know its a package deal through different sources, but a quick breakdown would help!!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

SAP7:To Pete (above) I'm about to renew my V+ deal, about £85 all in. Just what is the current Sky/Carphone W / Quidco package deal in ££££'s No huge paragraphs, please, just the facts n figures! I know its a package deal through different sources, but a quick breakdown would help!! Cheers

lol talk about thread jacking

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
SAP7:To Pete (above) I'm about to renew my V+ deal, about £85 all in. Just what is the current Sky/Carphone W / Quidco package deal in ££££'s No huge paragraphs, please, just the facts n figures! I know its a package deal through different sources, but a quick breakdown would help!! Cheers

Sky HD TV = £49 box + installation plus £9.75 HD Pack + £16.50 (1 entertainment pack minimum) = £364 for the 1st year.

Discounts - Go to Sky via Quidco and get £100 cashback, £50 M&S voucher from Sky plus £9.75 1st month free HD pack = £159.75 discounts for new customers.

Total cost of TV for the 1st year after discounts = £17.02 pcm

Carphone Warehouse and Sky offer good deals on broadband and phone services for under £20 per month. You'll need a BT line for the Carphone Warehouse deal, although if you get the Post Office phone deal they'll sort out your BT line for nothing and there's no contract. Get the Post Office to install your BT line for free, then swap after a month to Carphone Warehouse.

I pay £43.75 to Virgin Media for an XL TV package, L Phone and L Broadband, plus 1 V+ box and another V Box. They call it a loyalty discount which for me is ongoing, but you'll need to sign up to a fresh 12 month contract. V+ Box isn't a waste of money if you can get the same sort of deal as I have. Virgin are well aware how many customers they're losing to Sky HD and I'm sure there will be more HD content coming.

Added 06/02/09 - Looks like the Sky £50 M&S voucher isn't available anymore.

A

Anonymous

To be fair calling V+ a HD service is a bit of a rip.

I got mine a while before I had a HD telly sos didn't pay much attention to current HD programming, as I'm prolly gonna get moved on by the landlord sometime in the next 12 months I'll put up and prolly look at getting sky next time.

BTW virgin have no plans whatsover to introduce more HD content in the short/medium term future, and from my experience the V+ box is barely able to handle it without crashing anyway.

was in florida recently... over 100 HD channels on cable. Boy do we suck or what?

A

Anonymous

It's true HD content is sparse and but given that V+ does not cost any extra per month and is purely a one off cost (£75 when I got it) for the box and as previously stated it gives not only HD but also the '+' part allowing to record, pause and rewind etc. then I would say it is fairly good value.

There is also free on demand HD stuff if you go looking for it and plenty movies on filmflex in HD. Why pay for a movie channel when you could hire the bluray or get in on demand?

V+ is far from ideal but its hard to say its a waste of money when it doesn't have an ongoing cost and sky is so expensive in comparison. More HD content would be great but not if it meant the price rose substantially - I don't want to end up paying to get ...insert bad tv programme here..... in HD when I never watch it.

A

Anonymous

My issue with Virgin is the HD. I like the functionality. I like the PQ. I think BBC iplayer and on-demand are great. BUT..... Virgin are obviously not concentrating on HD content, even though Sky see it as a subs driver. This is a BIG mistake, I think. 2 half HD channels (and that's all BBC & ITV HD are) is hardly a HD service, and the amount of HD programming on the on-demand service is paltry and rarely or comprehensibly refreshed. They could - and should - do a whole lot more.

A

Anonymous

Hi all ,

While I understand peoples thougts on this thread, my comments are.

When I signed up for V+ I new exactly what I was getting, what I would be expected to pay and new what the competition was offering.

I have exactly what Virgin promised and I am very pleased with what I get from the service. No one from Virgin ever promised me loads of extra HD channel, yes i would like them, but i knew what I was signing up for, therefore I have no grounds for complaint.

In fact the opposite, I am delighted.

Best regards

Leahandanna

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts