Virgin V+ and Dolby sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think I may have asked this a while back, but never got a definative answer. Is everything in stereo??? I have yet to see my Onkyo offer Dolby, and yet to see any of the "info" boxes show any indication of Dolby. Is there ANY? And, if there is, can you tell in advance (e.g. by looking at the info box). What with only one HD channel, and poor sound, I'm regreting my 12 month sign up. But hey, it is so much cheaper than Sky when you factor in what the VIP pack gives.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have the vip package and I too have an Onkyo 605 which does not register any dolby signal viathe virgin box although I have to say it sounds fine, the only issue I have is I find the volume level low on the bbc HD channel, but I say stick with it there may be more HD soon and also 50gb broadband !

Bc.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="briinthesky"]

I have to say it sounds fine, the only issue I have is I find the volume level low on the bbc HD channel, but I say stick with it there may be more HD soon and also 50gb broadband !

[/quote]I have the opposite, switch to BBC HD and my sound levels go right up!

A

Anonymous

me too... the footy last night was noticeably louder in HD. Back to my original question though..... CAN ANYONE HELP?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SAP7:me too... the footy last night was noticeably louder in HD. Back to my original question though..... CAN ANYONE HELP? The only HD channel on V+ is BBC HD and not many shows are broadcast in 5.1 - a lot are just 2.0. Jools Holland is in 5.1. Do you have any film channels? Some films will be in 5.1 also. My brother-in-law has the V+ and after playing with the V+ settings 5.1 is definitely available - just rare.

ianj74

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I have no problems with my Onkyo 605 it displays Dolby Digital with BBC HD. I have set the audio up via opital, because when I listen to radio channels via Virgin + the sound keeps dropping over the HDMI.

I get a nice sound this way no problems and the Onkyo reacts straight away.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AFAIK the V+ box, like the Sky+/Sky+HD boxes, only delivers stereo over HDMI.

You need an optical digital cable from the box to the receiver, and to assign this optical input to the receiver input on to which the HDMI from the box is connected, to stand any chance of getting surround from these boxes.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

You'd think Virgin would tell you this.

Much appreciated. Good job I have an old one from my dvd days...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Mr Everard, as always, is absolutely right. I have my V+ box connected by HDMI to the TV, and optical digital cable to my Arcam receiver, and have no problem getting DD5.1. Quite a bit of the BBC HD stuff is in DD5.1, and some standard-definition broadcasts are in Dolby Surround.

I'm off to watch the new series of Top Gear now, so it will be interesting to see if that's in surround sound.

A

Anonymous

Would you suggest an HDMI directly to my TV, and an optical into my 606? If so, how do I then get the sound to the tv itself if the picture and sound are already direct from the HDMI?

(I had one HDMI in to the 606, with the one single HDMI out to the tv for everything. I now have HDMI and optical into the 606, and still just one HDMI out to the tv.)

Secondly, Virgin should have the "DD" icon in the info box, like Sky, to inform you in advance as to what you are going to get!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts