Virgin or Freesat hd??? pls advise me

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi ppl, i currently use SD virgin free package TV with my phone & broadband as previous house owner decided to remove all existing Ariel's etc... from house.

Shall i upgrade to a HD box from virgin but pay for basic channels? or a one off payment and install (DIY) freesat HD??, any recommendations on make and cost of freesat HD, only i would prefer a GOOD reviewed one thats going to be cheap but better picture than my SD Virgin box.

Thanks

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Sta,

If you go with the virgin basic package you will get 4 HD channels included, which is 2 more than Freesat (Virgin channel list on this link:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/channels.html

I've had United Artists/Telewest/Virgin since they began and have always been impressed - we live in Kingston upon Thames and we are unable to get a TV signal so have no aerial either. However, as my kids have got older, there are now more TVs in the house and the cost of having Virgin boxes throughout the house was untenable, so I fitted a dish for Freesat. Picture quality is very good (make sure you get good quality cable though - i used Webro WF100.) The dish I bought from ebay (same place I got the cable). We use the Humax Freesat boxes which I got from Humax Direct. I bought their grade A boxes which you will find here:

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10070&cat=Factory

They cost £89.95 + postage and they are fantastic quality.

The only downside of Freesat is that they don't seem to be making much effort to add further HD channels, whereas with Virgin, you could always upgrade your package if you want more HD channels later on. Hope that helps you to make a decision.

Rob

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks rob your info was very helpful. Have been browsing eBay and I will soon take the plunge.

Once again thanks very much ?

scene

One other thing on Virgin is that the BBC iPlayer is superb on cable, probably the best version you can get, and you can get HD progs on it - and there is a whole load of HD on-demand content on Virgin, which is nice
emotion-1.gif

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi scene I'm very reluctant to pay for tv channels but now I guess it's the only way. I have been a virgin customer since way back in the old days, I'm just waiting for them to offer me a HD box! Prob never get it for nothing. Anyway it's worth a call and a blag I guess ?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Sta,

If you've been with them for a while, give them a ring and go to the 'I want to leave' department (known as retentions I believe). Tell them that you're thinking of going to Sky as their HD packages are so good (have a look on their website and get some ideas as to cost.). Hopefully, Virgin will make you an offer to try and get you to stay. They are usually good about this kind of thing and you may get an HD box and a good deal on your package. I did have the number for the retentions dept but can't find it, so you may have to have a look on their website or have a Google - unless some kind person on this site knows what it is !

Good call about iplayer too, scene - i'd forgotten about that. It is available on freesat but you have to have your receiver plugged into the router (not sure if it would work on a wireless extender.)

Let us know how you get on, sta.

Good luck

Rob

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi rob I'm going to give them a call and give it I'm gonna leave and go go sky just to see what they offer!! Il let you no so watch this space and il reply back tomorrow!! :)

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rob, Scene

Well I called Virgin this morning and found out that I'm paying £30 monthly plus call rates average £16 monthly. This gives me free tv package (basic) 10meg broadband and free eve/weekend calls. Total £46 average monthly. New proposed deal is £25 V+HD box instead of £49, £30 waivered install. M+ tv pack which includes 5HD channels and 64channels total. Free calls all day & weekends for £4.50, same broadband etc... Total £30.80. Hopefully calls will reduce as a bigger phone call pack. So only outlay is £25 on my bill next month & average 80p month increase. In all I think I got a deal...

Thanks guys

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Cheers guys. Just got to convince the wife now lmao. It will benefit her and the little one more than me as BD is my thing.

Thanks for both of your advice....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts