RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought - whilst buried in another topic. Vinyl has RIAA equalisation to reduce bass and hf which is reversed by the preamp. It is therefore, no surprise that vinyl will sound different to a digital soirce with no equalisation. Just a thought unless Ive missed something.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Well you certainly have to distort the signal to get it onto vinyl and then undistort it to get if off again. To the extent that the two processes are different the signal will end up distorted. But then you have to sample and then unsample the signal to get it on and off a CD and the same thing applies.

Chris

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The RIAA EQ specification reduces the bass and boosts the treble, which as you say is reversed by the phono preamp. I was going to say it's not an exact science and therefore it's open to errors, but that would be strictly incorrect because it really is an exact science, feel free to look up the RIAA EQ specification on the net.

What I really mean when I say "it's not an exact science" is there are a million and one potential variables that could affect the 'decoding' / re-equalisation, so it's probably true that it doesn't happen as seemlessly/perfectly in every tt->cart->arm->-cables->amp combination as it will in others. I'll give you that one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts