Vinyl or cd ?

2ptjoe

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I expect the answer to be both but I,ll ask anyhow !

Just set myself up a system but all I have , speakers aside of course is just an intergrated Arcam amp an Pro Ject turn table. I,m slowly trawling through my old vinyl and having a great time whilst also thinking what to buy next. Things like Pink Floyd ,s stuff you can still get on vinyl ok but I,ll need to get a get cd of some sort so shall I start buying cd,s of that sort of music. ? or shal li keep buying as much as vinyl as possible ?? I,ve not got the sharpest ears out there, so what's the general thoughts ??

thanks

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I prefer CD - I just prefer the fidelity.

Though the quality does vary ( as with all music medium), its just imo the best storage - tougher than vinyl and less chance of losing my whole music collection if I get burgled or spill a drink over my laptop or catch a virus online - I love the sound of CD's

2ptjoe

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
Personally, I'd get a Blu-Ray player with streaming capability, you'll then have a universal disc player and have acces to internet radio to boot.

Thats interesting, I,d never considered that being a newbie to all this .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Vinyl when I am actually sitting down with a beer doing nothing!

Any other time streaming - Still cant get how good ALAC sounds from my MacBook Pro into my Rega DAC via optical - Sounds better than my CDP

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:
Stick with vinyl for the moment, while you check out streaming.

CDPs are a dead end imo

I remember them saying that over 20yrs ago about vinyl when CD was introduced........

Yes, but Vinyl didn't have a very similar viable (analogue) alternative, that was more veratile, easier operated, lasted longer, was cheaper and sounded better at a given price range. ;)

BTW. I'm 100% with you on getting out there, listening to different alternatives, and going with what you hear (ie. trusting your own judgement).

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just flogged my CDP after moving to lossless rips stored on a NAS being run by a Sonos Connect through a decent dac. As someone else mentioned above, internet radio is great and future proof given that DAB is on the way out.

I love the way I am redescovering albums I've not heard for years with the Sonos, but I will always love vinyl!

TubularTechnician

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Got my Debut Carbon up and running on Sunday and I'm loving it. Completely different sound to CD. If I'm honest I prefer CD but there is something about vinyl if you come from that age. Smiled my way through Sunday afternoon with the memories flooding back.

If you have the option of both then go for both.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure it's so clear cut that cd has the same "quality" as streaming.

Theres still the selection and loading that is missing from streaming.

Hide the remote control and you're even less likely to skip tracks etc

CD still has a little of the experience of vinyl — at least compared to streaming.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
I'm not sure it's so clear cut that cd has the same "quality" as streaming.

Theres still the selection and loading that is missing from streaming.

Hide the remote control and you're even less likely to skip tracks etc

CD still has a little of the experience of vinyl — at least compared to streaming.

I agree, CD selection, take out of case then place in CDP tray etc

A bit off topic but ALAC through Optical via my Rega DAC out performs CD through my Apollo R/DAC - Thats carzy!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I prefer cds, never did like all that crackling between tracks, not to mention scrathed lps, even new ones. Anyway in UK vinyl is a rip-off at £15-£20 (USA is about $10) an album when you can often buy the cd for £5 new or £1 for used ones.

I do most of listening now via Spotify or Rdio, a bit of internet radio, so do not buy many cds, so I gear up for that.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Vinyl or CD?

CD.

The medium is cheap, is easily available new and used, is far more durable, and doesn't require meticulous care, above and beyond simple common sense.

You can play CDs live on anything from ye olde worlde CD players to a bang-up-to-date blu-ray player, or you can rip them and store them on your computer, or a NAS drive, or copy them to a portable device, or to a memory-stick for your car.

Then there's the set-up of the replay equipment. Unlike records, CDs don't need their players to be set-up meticulously by engineers wearing white coats and cotton gloves. Buy a player of some kind, plonk it on a level-ish table, there you go, it's set up.

Then there's the upgrade possibilities. Not got the money for an expensive player now? No problem. A cheap transport can (usually) be upgraded by connecting it to a better DAC at a later time, and on the whole and generally speaking, the potential sound-quality of the DAC won't be compromised very much (if at all). Buy the world's best arm and cartridge for a cheap turntable and you've basically wasted all your money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Regarding transports!

A lot of people advocating use of a cheap blu ray player as a transport IMHO the transport is as important as the DAC!

I am astounded by how good ALAC sounds through my Rega DAC even better than an Apollo R as transport!

Yes you will get good results using a £200 blu ray player and a £500 DAC, but the weak link is that transport and you can improve it greatly!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yes you will get good results using a £200 blu ray player and a £500 DAC, but the weak link is that transport and you can improve it greatly!

You can buy more expensive transports...and it will improve the sound (probably/possibly...I'm just not going there!)...

What I probably should have said is "on the whole and generally speaking, the potential sound-quality of a brilliant DAC attached to a cheap transport won't be as compromised as the world's best arm and cartridge attached to a cheap turntable" but I do keep forgetting how carefully one has to choose ones words round here ;)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have only 3 albums on both CD and vinyl. Every one of them sounds better on vinyl.

2ptjoe you can buy a decent sounding device for playing CD's for £100. Take your pick from a CD player, DAC, Soundcard or Audio Interface. For that sort of money you might as well go ahead and enjoy both CD's and vinyl in your system.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
The clue was in the question "vynal or CD"

please, Please don't start another debate about the merits of streaming over any other format.

Hi Mac, I'm not sure anybody really is (I actually suggested he stuck with vinyl for the moment).

My position is that you can enjoy CD without a CDP, so it's worth investigating for the future (to work along side Vinyl).

TRENDING THREADS