Vinyl Care & Cleaning

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been looking for a cost-effective solution for record cleaning, especially to bring some of my older vinyl that spent a long period stored back in to good condition. Vacuum cleaning machines represent a bigger investment than I really want to make at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or experience of this product:

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/knosti.de/lupe_gb.php?label=0&wg_id=59&wug_id=17&artID=4844

...the 'Knosti Disco Antistat' wet record cleaning system. It has a less than convincing name and the packaging certainly doesn't do anything for its credibility - but it seems to be on sale in a number of places that I would hope only stock decent kit.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

Also, how useful do people find those anti-static 'gun' devices...are they beneficial?

Thanks,

A

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello anthony,i used this product and it's a pain in the backside but it does a good job.i did see on a site the other day about a machine like the keith monks system but a whole lot cheaper. i will look out for it again and report back.i am sure it was about £200.00.what i do now is go to my local 2nd hand record shop and get them to clean a dirty record for about a pound,as i always replace my records after playing this is not such a problem but if i find a 2nd hand record thats a bit dirty then it's off to the record shop i go.all the best,gregory.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for the reply. In what way is the Knosti a pain? I'd be interested to know...

If I had a local record cleaning facility I'd just use that too. If anyone knows of one in the Berkshire area I'd love to hear about it.

The cheapest vacuum machine I'm aware of is the Okki Nokki (http://okkinokki.co.uk/index.html). SRP is £275 but I believe I've seen it for £255 - still a fair bit more than the Knosti type system. Is that teh one you were thinking of or is there another?

Thanks again,

A

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
spot on anthony thats the one,i know it's a bit more than the knosti but i may just save up and get one.the knosti just takes too long,only 6 records at a time an age to dry and they take up quite a bit of space but like i said they do a good job but not much better than a good brush.i hope this helps.all the best,gregory.

A

Anonymous

I use the Knosti and it is very good (especially for the price).
I mainly use it on vinyl that is really grubby - usually s/h from charity shops.
I've tried it on vinyl that was reasonable to start with and it makes little difference,
possibly even increases fine surface noise.
Many people recommend using this in combination with a vac. system as it is
much better at applying the cleaning liquid and the vac. is much better than air drying.

6 records at a time? The drying rack I have hold holds 20.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
your right jim,it can clean more than 6 i just found that all the records would lean on each other and take a lot longer to dry off,unless i was doing something wrong.by the way how did you get on with that cartridge.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm in the process of returning to my old LP collection after many years of neglect. I've Cirkused and Herculesed the LP12 and have ordered Cyrus kit and Spendor speakers. Having read this thread I, too, am wondering whether I should clean my 400 or so LPs. They have been left in their dust jackets and sleeves so should be in reasonable condition. In the past I just wiped some sort of a device shaped like an oblong clothes brush over them and had a little brush on an arm attached to the LP12 by a sucker. Both pieces of kit have long since vanished. My only attempt long ago at wet cleaning an LP made matters much worse so I am no too keen on the Knosti route.

I'd welcome advice on the best kit on wiping any dust off before I consider shelling out even more money on a vac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts