Vinyl - best places to buy

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm just weighing up the benefits of buying a TT as I have very little vinyl. Are decent records available at decent prices and how does this compare against CD prices? Any suggestions as to decent places to buy vinyl too?

A

Anonymous

Prices on new releases tend to compare unfavourably with CDs. Typically £12-14, rather than the 9 quid you can find in Tesco et al.

I love vinyl, but not enough to pay 20-40% more, so most of my purchases are second hand.

Where do you live fella?

John Duncan

Charity shops and eBay. I'd counsel against buying it new in preference to CDs, as mentioned before - it's more expensive, and not always of the best quality, even before you consider the mastering of modern music.

Buying higher quality records from places like Diverse Vinyl is another matter, but it's expensive stuff.

A

Anonymous

Well, Record and Tape in Notting Hill is an obvious starting point. I'm sure some Londoners can point you in the direction of less well-known outfits. There's also a smattering of shops (both new and second hand) in between Soho and Oxford Street.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Flashback records on Essex road and Haggle vinyl, just down the road from you near islington green. I prefer Flashback to Haggle because haggle wont haggle.

A

Anonymous

Zavvi in Glasgow have a surprisingly well organised vinyl section.

Aural Exploits who are based in America and will send you their newsletter of what's new in audiophile vinyl are also a very reasonably buy, even with their postage to the UK I still have got some great 180 gram bargains from them!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I went to Zavvi in Oxford Street the other day and there was plenty of new vinyl at very decent prices. Loads of re-issues at around £7 each and also some bargain boxes with lps for as little as £2. Worth a look.

T

the record spot

DistortedVision:
New records:

www.diversevinyl.com
www.eil.com
www.juno.co.uk

Used
records:

www.discogs.com
www.gemm.com

These are market place sites rather than a retailer and are particularly useful for hard to find records in particular. These are just a few to get you started. I have a list of several I use especially for dance music.

Be warned sellers of used records grossly overgrade their records.

Be wary of eil - they do collectables, so if the new LPs have an attractive price, their 'rare' stuff is generally about three times the collectors market rate. Shop around first and use them as a last resort.

A

Anonymous

I only buy used as I'm not interested in new music, so if you're looking for new stuff I can't really help. I mostly buy rock as well.

As above, Flashback and Haggle on Essex Road are good. I think there's even a third on Essex Rd?

There's a good one on Camden High St, good selection of used stuff though not cheap.

There are quite a few on Berwick St in Central London as well. There are also some near Brick Lane but that tends to be more electronic/dub stuff.

Also as above there are some great used places in Glasgow -- that's actually where I started my record collection, before I even had a hifi! I think it was in the West End of Glasgow (Ruthven Lane?). Cheap and good assortment, not in the best nick though.

My personal favourite is a place in Clifton Arcade, Bristol, near the Gorge. He's always got new stuff in, cheap, and in great condition!

I find that used vinyl is much cheaper than used CDs; you can find stuff in really good nick if you're willing to look. I've never paid more than about 7 quid (for an Ex copy of Bowie's Low).

Oh, online: http://www.retrovinyl.co.uk/ The guy is based in Angel, very friendly, and often has a sale on.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I should have mentioned that - they have a reputation for being a rip off for collectables. I've only ever bought new stuff from them.

the record spot:
Be wary of eil - they do collectables, so if the new LPs have an attractive price, their 'rare' stuff is generally about three times the collectors market rate. Shop around first and use them as a last resort.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts