Vintage recievers

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
I have recently aquired three recievers from various house clearances along with a few hundred old LP's. The recievers are Pioneer SX980, a Sansui QRX6500 and a Rotel RX254. I also have a Arcam A65+. If I was to buy a turntable which would be the best partner? Apparently they all have decent phono stages. Also the vintage gear would want servicing. Looking to set up a vinyl system for the bedroom.

matthewpiano

The Arcam A65+ has a cracking phono stage.

In terms of turntables, if you want something vintage to match the receivers and you don't want to spend too much look out something like a Pioneer PL12D, but go for one you can collect rather than entrusting it to the postal system. There are various other Pioneer, Sansui, Trio/Kenwood, Technics and Sony decks which are well worth exploring too.

If you fancy something more modern, perhaps to use with the A65+, a second hand Rega Planar 2 or 3 makes a great buy.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's going to be subjective to say the least. 70's gear offers a different presentation to more modern equipment, it all depends on which sound signature you prefer. The Pioneer was a great receiver when it was manufactured and IMO still sounds and looks excellent today. The Arcam on the other hand is mediocre at best, the A65/75 and 85 were not Arcams finest hour by any means. They sound dull and lifeless, I'd take the Pioneer all day long, with regards to the Sansui and Rotel I can't comment as I haven't heard them. But Sansui made some excellent gear in the 70's too.

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The Pioneer would be the best of them. I still own an SX1250 which puts most modern stuff to shame. The SX980 will give you tight bass and crisp treble. It will also drive most speakers to high levels and with good grip.

T

the record spot

tosh said:
I have recently aquired three recievers from various house clearances along with a few hundred old LP's. The recievers are Pioneer SX980, a Sansui QRX6500 and a Rotel RX254. I also have a Arcam A65+. If I was to buy a turntable which would be the best partner? Apparently they all have decent phono stages. Also the vintage gear would want servicing. Looking to set up a vinyl system for the bedroom.

Hard to say without hearing them, but the Sansui is a Quadrophonic design, though I expect you could use it in straight stereo mode. Sansui were always a bit special, so I'd be inclined towards that one over the other two. I used to have their AU217 and a higher end AU717 and they were both terrific, the latter especially which easily held its own against an Exposure 3010s, a Leema Pulse 2 and a Harman Kardon HK990. Yes, that good.

T

the record spot

I don't know - I'd say today's components are better, but good engineering is good engineering. I can only speak about the 717 as it really did tick all the boxes. Of course, I'm using a modern AV amp from 2012 now, so I've kind of gone full tilt in the other direction!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a pioneer sx1080 was bloomin lovely ...looks sound build if the pioneer is still in goodnick id keep it and get it serviced, the radio sounded very nice too ...lovely piece of equipment/furniture

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My Pioneer SX1250 is built like a tank. The feel of the controls is superb, every part of it oozes superlative engineering and quality. I really think the 1970's represented a high spot in the build quality of Japanese hifi, even at the budget end of the market.

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
All three amps are in great condition also wondering whether the Arcam would be better with vinyl. Never doubted it for detail just thought it was a bit gutless as you say.

Yes, but pair it with sympathetic speakers 87db upwards and it'll perform as good any budget amp I've heard IMO. It depends how you play music: if you want to knock walls down the A65 won't be the ideal choice. On the other hand, for low-medium listening it's ideal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts