• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Vintage integrated amp - where to buy

oggie

Jun 1, 2009
Hi all

Just wonering does anybody know any online shops that sell vintage/refurbished amplifiers ?? I know there are some on ebay and I have also come across audiogold, any others I should look at ?

Thanks for your time :)

T

the record spot

There's a few, Big Ears Audio, 2nd Hand Hifi, Green Home Electronics / Used Hifi SHop, to name but three, all offer a wide range of gear in price and condition.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
I would add Classique Sounds to the list too. A lot of the best kit is on Ebay Germany, however prices are quite inflated at the moment.

oggie

Jun 1, 2009
German ebay seems superb!! Some good deals to be had :)

Need some sugestions though Please. I have old B&W DM601S2 speakers but need an amp for it. From my understaning Rotel amps are good combo with these speakers. Any other amps I should look out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Well I have owned S1 B&WDM601s and they are pretty versatile speakers, I remember trying a few amps through them and they all fitted pretty well. A deciding factor in choosing your amp will be what music you listen to. Arcam used to be the first choice of amps to pair with B&W speakers. Im not the best at suggesting systems due to the haphazard way of building systems I have. Maybe someone else could give you more support.

oggie

Jun 1, 2009
Have made a short list of some 2nd hand apms, any opinions of how they might go with DM601's. Looking at getting warm sound out of them.

Arcam Alpha 9

Rotel RA-01

Marantz PM4000

Rotel RA-930AX

Arcam Alpha 3

Pioneer SA-608

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
I have owned Pioneer, Arcam, Rotel and Marantz so I know how they sound with the DM601s.

Arcam Alpha 8 or 9 are good choices and shouldnt cost you more than around £150. They would be my 1st choice with your speakers. The Alpha 7 to 9 were the peak of that series, with the 9 and 10 deviating slightly from the warm sound of early models.

Marantz I have experience of, but only their CD players. The are traditionally smooth and slighly warm sounding. But not as much as that era of Arcam.

Pioneer - I have a SA-500a which cost me £30 but is such a wonderful amp. Warm and tubey sounding. Sparkly highs and a lovely full mid-bass. I dont know how the 608 will compare however as it came five years after the 500a model.

Rotel are good amps, but imho arent warm sounding.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts