Vintage Hi Fi Safety

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Something struck me recently when a neighbours old TV decided to spontaneously combust and almost take the house with it.

Is vintage Hi-Fi an electrical safety risk? I posess a 1979 Pioneer turnable in outwardly perfect condition and functions perfectly. I also have a circa 2004 Yamaha cassette deck and a 1996 JVC Cd player. I always disconnect these devices from the mains when not in use as I instinctively worry about the integrity of the internal components. In fact the PSU on one of my computers literally blew up last year ( I swear the smell is still in the house).

So, I'm just throwing the question out there...............Is there good reason to believe that vintage Hi-Fi is a safety risk and should we consider this a factor when making a purchase?

Lateralus

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Vintage hifi gear's safety depends entirely on the design of the component. Some older stuff was known to self-destruct after a couple of years but others are still going strong. A bit of googling when making a purchase will help determine if the model has a history of burning out or not.

If you are worried about your gear blowing up, you can get it checked by a certified electrician and they'll give you the :grin: or the :cry:.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
aob9 said:
Something struck me recently when a neighbours old TV decided to spontaneously combust and almost take the house with it.

Is vintage Hi-Fi an electrical safety risk? I posess a 1979 Pioneer turnable in outwardly perfect condition and functions perfectly. I also have a circa 2004 Yamaha cassette deck and a 1996 JVC Cd player. I always disconnect these devices from the mains when not in use as I instinctively worry about the integrity of the internal components. In fact the PSU on one of my computers literally blew up last year ( I swear the smell is still in the house).

So, I'm just throwing the question out there...............Is there good reason to believe that vintage Hi-Fi is a safety risk and should we consider this a factor when making a purchase?

Aside from the safety aspect which can be checked by a competant engineer by doing a PAT test, I think you will find that in the event of a problem like fire, your household insurance may be null and void if it is proven that the said piece of equipment was live at the time of the incident. Golden rule??, turn it off when not in use and even pull the plug out. Leaving it on "because it sounds better" won't impress your insurance company.

aob9 said:

Think it is always wise to have old equipement periodically serviced/checked. Up until last year I had a Marantz tuner for around 34-years, and that was checked every couple of years. Still works fine to this day.

But from a safety point of view, I used to work for a fire safety company (fire risk assessments), and don't bunch up mains cables, as this CAN create residule heat, thus resulting in a potential fire. Make sure that amps have plenty of ventilation, so don't place a CDP or TT on top. Just commonsense stuff.

TrevC

plastic penguin said:
aob9 said:

Think it is always wise to have old equipement periodically serviced/checked. Up until last year I had a Marantz tuner for around 34-years, and that was checked every couple of years. Still works fine to this day.

But from a safety point of view, I used to work for a fire safety company (fire risk assessments), and don't bunch up mains cables, as this CAN create residule heat, thus resulting in a potential fire. Make sure that amps have plenty of ventilation, so don't place a CDP or TT on top. Just commonsense stuff.

You are a stereo repair man's dream. Money for old rope.

Old stereo stuff doesn't need servicing at all unless it becomes faulty in some way, and as long as a bit of common sense is used, ie. don't leave it on when unattended and turn it off if you smell burning, you aren't going to have any more problems than you do with new stuff. (Which should also not be left on unattended).

If in doubt, turn it all off at the wall.

TrevC said:
plastic penguin said:
aob9 said:

Old stereo stuff doesn't need servicing at all unless it becomes faulty in some way, and as long as a bit of common sense is used, ie. don't leave it on when unattended and turn it off if you smell burning, you aren't going to have any more problems than you do with new stuff. (Which should also not be left on unattended).

You're so right. Drat, I should know not to be so stupid.

Looking at it from purely as a fire risk - if it's electrical, regardless of age, then it is termed a potential FIRE RISK - and you have doubts, get it checked. Doesn't cost a fortune - to have the Marantzes earthing checked it cost me a few bob. Very cheap way of keeping you safe.

TrevC

plastic penguin said:
TrevC said:
plastic penguin said:
aob9 said:

You're so right. Drat, I should know not to be so stupid.

Looking at it from purely as a fire risk - if it's electrical, regardless of age, then it is termed a potential FIRE RISK - and you have doubts, get it checked. Doesn't cost a fortune - to have the Marantzes earthing checked it cost me a few bob. Very cheap way of keeping you safe.

Until it actually goes wrong there is nothing to check, that's the problem. It would be like looking for the cause of an engine failure in a car that hasn't yet suffered an engine failure. One can easily check the mains lead is undamaged and the fuse is the corect rating, and that will suffice.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
Until it actually goes wrong there is nothing to check, that's the problem. It would be like looking for the cause of an engine failure in a car that hasn't yet suffered an engine failure. One can easily check the mains lead is undamaged and the fuse is the corect rating, and that will suffice.

Whats the point of ANY technical maintanance?

TrevC

Vladimir said:
TrevC said:

Whats the point of ANY technical maintanance?

In consumer electronics where no issues are apparent, none at all. Faults can be dealt with if they occur, no need to bother otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts