Vintage Amplifier Repair - recommendations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First visit / post here, so hello everyone.

I have an old Sansui amplifier - an AU-717 - which I bought in the USA several years ago. It's been my first choice amp since I got it, really musical and powerful, but it started playing up over Xmas and I need to find someone who can have a look at it.

The problem is in the right channel - a lot of white noise / crackle even with the volume turned right down and nothing playing. It doesn't make any difference which speaker output I use.

All suggestions welcome. I'm based in London so someone based here or in the South East would be ideal - it's a heavy beast and very expensive to post / courier anywhere, as I discovered when I brought it home in the first place !

Thanks in advance,

Chris

A

Anonymous

Chris

Try Steve from Steve's Hi-Fi which are based in Hastings. He is a very helpful chap and renovates lots of vintage gear for re sale. If he can't help you( which I doubt) then he will know someone who can.
You will find him on the web. just google
good luck.

T

the record spot

the spotlight kid:
First visit / post here, so hello everyone.

I have an old Sansui amplifier - an AU-717 - which I bought in the USA several years ago. It's been my first choice amp since I got it, really musical and powerful, but it started playing up over Xmas and I need to find someone who can have a look at it.

The problem is in the right channel - a lot of white noise / crackle even with the volume turned right down and nothing playing. It doesn't make any difference which speaker output I use.

All suggestions welcome. I'm based in London so someone based here or in the South East would be ideal - it's a heavy beast and very expensive to post / courier anywhere, as I discovered when I brought it home in the first place !

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Check the pre/power switch at the back, does the crackle go when that's switched? Also the selector knob can be a problem area. Internally, the ALPS volume pot maybe an issue, as it's difficult to get to. *** over to the "Exclusively Sansui" sub-forum at Audiokarma - I had some excellent advice over there when I had a similar problem with my 717. Great amp isn't it?

A

Anonymous

Yes, a great amp - although I liked it a lot more when it was working properly !

If you set the pre-power switch to either of the "separated" positions the crackle does go - total silence even at maximum volume.

There don't seem to be any problems with the input selector or volume controls, they operate silently.

I rarely touch the tone / loudness / muting switches, just leaving them all off, but fiddling some more this afternoon it seems like both the tone switch and (to a lesser extent) the muting switch provoke more noise and so those switches and their related circuits could probably do with cleaning up.

I'll head over to Audiokarma - thanks for the pointers !

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts