Video Upscaling on Receiver/Amp. Do I need it and what difference does it make?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know that most of the budget amps do not have Video Upscaling, What exactly does this mean and would I notice it if the amp I chose didn't have it?

Many thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Can anyone please answer this one?

It would help in my purchase (i think)

:)

A

Anonymous

See this link for a description of video upscaling.

Whether it's worth it depends on the rest of your equipment.

I auditioned a Pansonic BD35 player, Onkyo 876 and a Pioneer PDP-LX5090. I got the demonstrator to set up the system so that the Blu ray player, amp and TV each 'took turns' at performing the upscaling of one of my DVDs. To my eyes there was no appreciable difference in the quality of the displayed picture.

That said, different Blu ray player / amp / TV combinations may give different results. I suggest you get a demonstration for the amps your are considering with your current TV and DVD/Blu ray player.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
A video upscaler takes a "low" definition video signal and makes it a "high" definition signal.

It depends on how good your TV is really. If you have a high-end TV then the upscaler in it is likely to be good. Cheaper models will have poorer ones so the amp may be a better upscaler. Have to fiddle around to see what looks better to you.

A

Anonymous

Ah, i see. Many thanks for the info.

I have a Panasonic 42" Plazma (TH-42PZ85) and haven't bought the BluRay player yet, I was going for a Panasonic (35 or 55).

As for the amp.......budget dictates its a low end one, Sony STRDG or one of the lower end Onkyo/Yamaha/Denon amps possibly.

Do you think I would need upscaling for these types of setup?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're only going to be using the Panasonic player into the TV, then you probably don't need upscaling in the amp.

But if you're going to be sending signal from other devices not capable of outputting HD or an upscaled signal - such as old video recorders, non-upscaling DVD players or standard definition set-top boxes - you might find a receiver with upscaling and upconversion handy.

Upconversion also lets you connect all your sources into the receiver, and just run a single (usually HDMI) cable to the TV.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew, I am thinking now that it may be worth the extra initial outlay for an upscaling enabled amp just for the benefit of the single HDMI cable connection to TV

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jakeblues68:
Thank you Andrew, I am thinking now that it may be worth the extra initial outlay for an upscaling enabled amp just for the benefit of the single HDMI cable connection to TV

If you have non HD satelite box like Sky or Virgin and therefore connect to your tv via scart, an upscaling receiver would be great as you could connect the box to the receiver via S Video and then as Andrew mentioned, hdmi from receiver to screen. If you don't though and are getting a BD player, upscaling is not needed (I don't use the upscaling on mine). However, nearly all the new receivers offer upscaling so even the budget ones have it onboard.

A

Anonymous

I recently changed my Pioneer 915 AVR for a Yamaha 863, and Sky now runs through that via HDMI (previously connected directly to the plasma).ÿ

I have noticed that the SD picture is cleaner and crisper, and thought it was just new toy enthusiasm until my wife (who regards the kit as just a series of boxes with lights on the front) spontaneously said the same.ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mjtoal:
I recently changed my Pioneer 915 AVR for a Yamaha 863, and Sky now runs through that via HDMI (previously connected directly to the plasma).ÿ

I have noticed that the SD picture is cleaner and crisper, and thought it was just new toy enthusiasm until my wife (who regards the kit as just a series of boxes with lights on the front) spontaneously said the same.ÿ

The 863 doesn't upscale hdmi.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:mjtoal:

The 863 doesn't upscale hdmi.

ÿ

You are, of course, quite right - it is analogue to HDMI only. Still, the pic looks great and I am happy with it.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts