very tempted to try vinyl.....

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
never ever owned a vinyl before but I was listening to a friend's Miles Davis King of Blue on his TT.....very impressed with the sound, that background cracking. I have the CD version and I'm not an audiophile or anything but it just sounds different, I liked both.

So, here comes the question, I was looking at Pro-ject Debut carbon or Elemental 2.........whats your opinion on this as a start-up TT connected to either RA-12 or RA-1570 (yea, I havent quite brought a new amp yet either) onto a pair of CM1s.

I've never heard them play, will go try today, but theres absolutely no way I can even test them on a Rotel driving CM1s.

I mainly listen to jazz, easy-listening music. Norah Jones, Miles Davis, Kenny G, Lisa Ono.

I just spent like an hour reading the debate CD/Dig vs Vinyl on this forum........heated discussions...haha

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Which turntable does your friend have?

actually friend's mate. I didnt ask but I just checked, looked like a Rega PP6 or RP6? no idea.

Maybe I should just let it go and enjoy my CDs and hi-def music for now..........or even consider a better cdp instead of a TT

I asked today at dealers, no Elemental 2s available here, and Debut Carbon come with the 5e instead of 2M cartridge?? More research I think.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't let me put you off but do consider that if you've not already got a collection of LPs gathering dust, starting with vinyl is quite an investment (in money to buy the hardware, money to buy the records, time,*potentially* endless tweaks to get it all sounding 'just so') when essentially you're buying into something that won't play any of the media you've already bought. It's not something I personally would start with now, but a few people on here are recent newcomers to vinyl and enjoy every minute of it, and I'm certainly not going to tell them they were wrong to start. Just make sure you go into it with your eyes wide open.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I started vinyl 2 years ago and have no regrets whatsoever.

Yes I have a few duff records - vinyl can sound bad, but on the whole it sounds nicer to me than CD (i dont want to get into a debate about it)

IMO Vinly has no right sounding as good as it does, and it still baffles me today why it does.

Be prepared for investment not just with money but also time - however I love the ritual of owning vinyl.

Started off with a Rega RP1, then RP3, then RP6 - finally I have just bought a Michell Gyrodec SE and am over the moon with it.

MajorFubar makes some very valid points here as usual. I would agree with all of them.

Not wanting to put anyone off but would also agree with stevebrock that I has benefits if you have the money to make a go of it.

It can be very expensive and, unless you can make money on each of progressive turntable upgrades you might make in the future, it is probably best so save for the most expensive turntable you can afford and get that later.

I too made several 'improvements' up the turntable chain and it ended up getting quite expensive makinfg a financial loss on most of them.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Don't let me put you off but do consider that if you've not already got a collection of LPs gathering dust, starting with vinyl is quite an investment (in money to buy the hardware, money to buy the records, time,*potentially* endless tweaks to get it all sounding 'just so') when essentially you're buying into something that won't play any of the media you've already bought. It's not something I personally would start with now, but a few people on here are recent newcomers to vinyl and enjoy every minute of it, and I'm certainly not going to tell them they were wrong to start. Just make sure you go into it with your eyes wide open.

Totally agree.

Something I would add is a lot depends on your music preferrence. If like me you're an old f@rt and into older music, then buying vinyl is not expensive. There's a stall I go to when I'm away that sells loads of the stuff. I paid £45 for 11 albums, all in very good condition. If you hunt around charity shops, you might pay as little as 50p for an album.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When times are tough and you are selling your second kidney for that new tonearm, make sure you have Melissa Logan's blog bookmarked for a visit to keep you motivated and your spirits up.

ireland-1024x748.jpg

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the Major here, if you haven't got one album it is better to stay with what you got, with the money you probably will spend, you can have better speakers, amp and cd player!

yes you can upgrade all your system with the money probably you'll spend...

25 years ago i let all my vinyl collection behind in my parents home, and after they died all the content of the house was sold, my vinyl inclueded, as i never, even in my wildest dreams, thought that i will ever be into vinyl in my live, but oh boy was I rong...

2 years ago, like you I had no TT, no records... At the present i've upgraded my RP3 and cart, upgraded my phono stage, i've 380 some thing albums in my vinyl collection, most of it is used vinyl bought on ebay and second hand vinyl shops, two travels to Amsterdam, (one of them was just to buy vinyl) and some are new.

Imagine the system I could get with the money spent...!

But do I regreat geting in vinyl all again in the first place? NO I don't!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

cheeseboy said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
two travels to Amsterdam, (one of them was just to buy vinyl) and some are new.

there's a couple of decent vinyl stores in delft as well if you are ever over again.

There's quite a few in Lisbon (where he lives), but he seems to like Amsterdam for some reason. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I would echo the advice of a few others, if you're going to get into vinyl at this moment in time, it's going to be very expensive. I love my records, but if I was in your position, I would be sticking to digtal, as it takes a long time, and lots of cash to get anywhere near a decent collection, and set up.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
cheeseboy said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
two travels to Amsterdam, (one of them was just to buy vinyl) and some are new.

there's a couple of decent vinyl stores in delft as well if you are ever over again.

There's quite a few in Lisbon (where he lives), but he seems to like Amsterdam for some reason. *biggrin*

Yes there are some stores in Lisbon, but not with the variety and quality (well kept records through the years) that I find in Amsterdam or UK (on ebay I only buy from UK)

I can find a "world" of Jazz, Blues and Soul in Amsterdam...

And I love Tulips...*blum3*

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
thanks all for advise and comments.

I did go to check out the record stores and basically its just HMV and a few local shops that do vinyls in Hong Kong, but I've notice even in HMV, vinyl is getting a bigger section of their store. Price wise, like you guys say, its nearly double that of CDs and more sometimes.

As to setup, is it even possible to compare CDP to a TT?

what I mean is, I'm using my 15yr Sony CDP (250pounds-ish back then) coaxial out to my RA-1570 and it sounds fine to me. Maybe if someone lent me a higher end CDP (RCD-1570, MF M6CD, Primare) to play side by side I would notice, but if I get a entry level TT like the stock RP1 or Pro-ject D Carbon with 2m red cartridge, would the sound be shocking?

I'm not trying to compare good cd quality or even 24bit music to vinyls, I know they are different.

My dad has a collection in the UK and an old old Sony HP-466 TT so it could be another good talk point hehe.

Also, the spec of the factory Debut Carbon in Asia is an Ortofon OM10 instead of a 2m red like the rest of the world, and of course it already more expensive. 2m red cartridge cost 100pounds extra.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the Rega P1 which was replaced by the RP1 and the sound it generates is far from shocking. the thing with turntables compared to CDP is the more you pay the better / more noticable results you will get.

I will upgrade my P1 when I have built up more of a vinyl collection, which most of my spare cash currently goes on, but at the moment I am happy with the results.

The key to a good sound I find is good quality vinyl and thats where my money is normally spent is getting the best condition vinyl I can afford.

You can get good quality playback from budget decks but budget turntables can be less forgiving on lesser quality vinyl.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Daz B said:
I have the Rega P1 which was replaced by the RP1 and the sound it generates is far from shocking. the thing with turntables compared to CDP is the more you pay the better / more noticable results you will get.

I will upgrade my P1 when I have built up more of a vinyl collection, which most of my spare cash currently goes on, but at the moment I am happy with the results.

The key to a good sound I find is good quality vinyl and thats where my money is normally spent is getting the best condition vinyl I can afford.

You can get good quality playback from budget decks but budget turntables can be less forgiving on lesser quality vinyl.

and what are your views on this debate of 120g vs 180g vinyls?

some of the 180g albums are nearly double that of 120g

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The vinyl route is a maze... There is no correct answer to your question!

You have very good 120g and 180g as you have bad ones!

Usualy I go for fist prints, original albums from the year they are produced, I only buy 180g versions if i'm absolutly sure if the pressing/mastering is a good one!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
The vinyl route is a maze... There is no correct answer to your question!

You have very good 120g and 180g as you have bad ones!

Usualy I go for fist prints, original albums from the year they are produced, I only buy 180g versions if i'm absolutly sure if the pressing/mastering is a good one!

Same here!

recent 180g reissues of Pink Floyd - Division Bell & Grace Jones - Nightclubbing are superb, and so is my 1st press flimsy M Jackson - Thriller

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
boshk said:
never ever owned a vinyl before but I was listening to a friend's Miles Davis King of Blue on his TT.....very impressed with the sound, that background cracking. I have the CD version and I'm not an audiophile or anything but it just sounds different, I liked both.

So, here comes the question, I was looking at Pro-ject Debut carbon or Elemental 2.........whats your opinion on this as a start-up TT connected to either RA-12 or RA-1570 (yea, I havent quite brought a new amp yet either) onto a pair of CM1s.

I've never heard them play, will go try today, but theres absolutely no way I can even test them on a Rotel driving CM1s.

I mainly listen to jazz, easy-listening music. Norah Jones, Miles Davis, Kenny G, Lisa Ono.

I just spent like an hour reading the debate CD/Dig vs Vinyl on this forum........heated discussions...haha

Which country do you live in?

Miles Davis KOB there are numerous versions, I believe the 2010 cd remaster is meant to be very good. If you live in the USA then you can get many jazz re-issues on high quality vinyl for about $30. However if in UK I think your choice will be more limited and more expensive, but I believe there are a few jazz records shops still going in London. I think your best bet is to go to a dealer who can demonstrate vinyl v cd v streaming.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
theres a few versions of the same album floating around like the Miles Davis KOB.

I would love to get my hands on M.Jackson's Thriller and History

And whats with demoing TTs? I've been to 4-5 shops and not one of them will demo a TT.

CDP, amps, speakers, power amps, streamers........they will all demo but a TT, they just say sorry, cannot. Is it the wear & tear of the cartridge and the more complicated setup or what?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
boshk said:
theres a few versions of the same album floating around like the Miles Davis KOB.

And whats with demoing TTs? I've been to 4-5 shops and not one of them will demo a TT.

CDP, amps, speakers, power amps, streamers........they will all demo but a TT, they just say sorry, cannot. Is it the wear & tear of the cartridge and the more complicated setup or what?

Is there any Rega dealer in Hong Kong? Or any dealer of any other TT brand?

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
boshk said:

Is there any Rega dealer in Hong Kong? Or any dealer of any other TT brand?

Only seen 1 Rega dealer and the others are Pro-ject dealers but so far, none are willing to demo. They just say, sound is very good for the price of this TT, it has x cartridge which is better than y cartridge and this platter is better than blah blah......

which is why I'm asking alot of questions on forum :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts