Very slow internet after installing NAS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I installed a Gigabit switch yesterday and put all 8 ethernet cables on that, but I then put a NAS on.

Now when I click on the internet, it takes ages and ages, and sometimes times out on the net.

I have internet because all the lights are good.

Its got to be the NAS, Any Ideas? this is sorta my first NAS and have no idea what all the settings are in the menu's.

Looked online and cant see anything.

Thanks

scene

Just to confirm things: if you disconnect the NAS from the switch - does the internet speed up? Only ask as you said you also installed the switch yesterday, so just wanted to confirm everything is working with just the new switch.

Oh yes, what make of switch and NAS?

If your internet is still slow without the NAS, pull everything out of the switch apart from the PC and internet modem/router and see what things are like then.

A

Anonymous

DUH!!!

Never thought of that, will take the NAS out and see what happens.

Its a D-LINK DNS-320.

It was working fine though before I installed the NAS, as I installed the switch first and all was good.

It seemed to have slowed down after I installed the NAS software.

Nice 1

scene

canada16:
DUH!!!

Never thought of that, will take the NAS out and see what happens.

Don't worry - sometimes it just helps to have someone else look at a problem...

Its a D-LINK DNS-320.

It was working fine though before I installed the NAS, as I installed the switch first and all was good.

It seemed to have slowed down after I installed the NAS software.

Nice 1

What "NAS software" - was this something installed on the PC - the D-Link "Easy Search" utility maybe?

A

Anonymous

Hey it was the software provided by the NAS it was on a disk, it ran through the setup. and I justkept pressing next as had no idea what half the stuff meant.LOL

scene

canada16:
Hey it was the software provided by the NAS it was on a disk, it ran through the setup. and I justkept pressing next as had no idea what half the stuff meant.LOL

emotion-1.gif
That's how I felt when I first installed my ReadyNAS...

I ended up disabling 95% of the software running on the NAS. Still need to disable some of the stuff on the PC I installed it on, as most of it unnecessary (with my NAS).

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
scene:canada16:

emotion-1.gif
I ended up disabling 95% of the software running on the NAS. Still need to disable some of the stuff on the PC I installed it on, as most of it unnecessary (with my NAS).

Likewise- but mine is still being a cow when trying to sort out the backup path to my laptop and the kids pc- simply won't connect.

Any suggestions Scene ( sorry Canada). The online manual shows different screens as well (have you updated to 4.1.7 firmware)

A

Anonymous

Thats ok, the more people that contribute the better, I am lost as well.

Going to un-install everything and see what happens.

I have a cheap buffalo linkstation, and that worked almost straight out of the box, this one is asking for server locations bla bla and upnp ect. ok you lost me now.. HA HA

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy:scene:canada16:

emotion-1.gif

Likewise- but mine is still being a cow when trying to sort out the backup path to my laptop and the kids pc- simply won't connect.

Any suggestions Scene ( sorry Canada). The online manual shows different screens as well (have you updated to 4.1.7 firmware)

Not sure on the firmware update - need to check when I get home.

The big thing I found was an issue with the NAS was my firewall software (Kaspersky) - needed to make sure that the NAS was marked as a Trusted Network (inside the Firewall s/w), or nothing worked properly. Also, how are you connecting from the PC(s) to the NAS. I found the best way was NAS_NameShareName - anything else seems to need various odd ports open.

scene

So if you do a "net use" from a cmd (DOS) shell on the PC/laptop, does it show you that M: readynasmedia and B: readynasackup are "OK" or "Disconnected"

Actually, just noticed, you're using "B:" for the backup. Don't do this. B: used to be reserved for the "B drive" - the second floppy drive, and that code goes quite deep in Windows. Choose a drive letter ABOVE the last internal drive of the PC/laptop (as below can cause another odd problem as bits of Windows will assume it's a non-network drive...).
EDIT: Strictly speaking, you don't need to assign a drive letter at all, you can just copy things directly to the UNC "readynasackup"...

scene

canada16:
Thats ok, the more people that contribute the better, I am lost as well.

Going to un-install everything and see what happens.

I have a cheap buffalo linkstation, and that worked almost straight out of the box, this one is asking for server locations bla bla and upnp ect. ok you lost me now.. HA HA

Don't uninstall stuff until after you have tried things without the NAS. If it's fast without the NAS, it may not be a software issue.

A

Anonymous

When u installed the NAS did u tell it to use its own DHCP server?

This could cripple your network performance, and cause problems accessing devices on your network.

Check the setting on the NAS and make sure its turned off.

A

Anonymous

Will check that when I get home, I remember seeing something about dhcp

A

Anonymous

Now I know that it said something about static IP.

Will it do this auto for me, how do I make one, is it just the router 192.168.0.. ect?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You set it on the router itself, rather than the NAS but you still need to turn off the DHCP server on the NAS, otherwise it'll clash with the router and both will be trying to hand out IP addresses to your other devices (laptop etc).

A

Anonymous

I have not touched the router, so if I need to ammend any settings in the router I will really be lost.

Will try that DHCP, be home in 30 min, fingers crossed, seems an awsome piece of kit.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my media was stuttering yesterday and its should do as everything is now gigabit.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
I have not touched the router, so if I need to ammend any settings in the router I will really be lost.

You won't need to to turn off the DHCP on the NAS, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Will try that DHCP, be home in 30 min, fingers crossed, seems an awsome piece of kit.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my media was stuttering yesterday and its should do as everything is now gigabit.

Well that only helps if everything connected to the switch is gigabit capable, ie the NAS (most importantly), your PC, whatever is streaming the media from the NAS etc etc (Sonos is only 100Mbit for example). You can only run as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

A

Anonymous

OK Guys

Unhooked the NAS and the internet is fine.

But cant change any of the settings, when I type the setting address it wont log on because the nas is off.

And when I plug it in, the internet wont connect.

Very strange eh!

A

Anonymous

Ok seems to be ok ,now, also DHCP client was ticked, so unticked that, and pressed static IP ?

Is that right

scene

Unticking dhcp
emotion-21.gif

static ip, good, but not essential. If you do set static ip, you need to be careful if you reset things, because your router may assign this ip to another device. To be certain,you need to set it so your router doesn't use this ip. If you can't be bothered, let the nas get an ip from your router.

How's performance?

TRENDING THREADS