Very quiet right speaker- do my valves need replacing?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Fatman iTube mk2 Carbon and it's been working very well for a few years. Now though, the right speaker is very quiet.

I know it's not the speaker itself as I swapped them over. So the next thought that occurs to me is whether it's a problem with the valves.

When valves need replacing, do they just completely break (and therefore give you no sound at all) or can they deteriorate over time?

A

Anonymous

I haven't and that's a good suggestion. I'll try that shortly.

Question- there are three valves- one at the front, and two at the back. Do you know why there would be three?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nashie said:
I haven't and that's a good suggestion. I'll try that shortly.

Question- there are three valves- one at the front, and two at the back. Do you know why there would be three?

Is the front one smaller than the two at the back? The smaller is usually the preamp valve.

The answer is yes, if you lose balance probably the valves are to be replaced. Probably the big ones as the pre-amp valves (smaller) last much longer. How many years you had these valves? My final valves usually last between 3000 and 5000 hs whilst my pre valves almost twice that time...

A

Anonymous

Well I've had it since 2009 and never changed the valves that came with it and I use it a lot so it's probably time to replace them.

The valve at the front is large, and the two behind are smaller. According to the spec they are 2 x 6N1 (ECC85) & 1 x 6E2 (EM87) valves.

I'll swap the valves over later and see what happens. I hope it's just the valves, I love this dock. Thanks for the advice guys!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nashie said:
Well I've had it since 2009 and never changed the valves that came with it and I use it a lot so it's probably time to replace them.

The valve at the front is large, and the two behind are smaller. According to the spec they are 2 x 6N1 (ECC85) & 1 x 6E2 (EM87) valves.

I'll swap the valves over later and see what happens. I hope it's just the valves, I love this dock. Thanks for the advice guys!

Swap around the two smaller - ECC85 - valves. The large one just acts as a peak level meter ('magic eye'). Actually it's just for show really. Pretty in the dark.

Make sure the amp has been powered off (and unplugged) for a while before doing this.

A

Anonymous

I've swapped the two smaller valves around and now the balance is fine. I really wasn't expecting that. That's a bit confusing.

A

Anonymous

While we're on the subject- can anyone recommend a place where I can buy replacement valves when the need arises?

Thanks for the help guys!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Contacting the manufacturer would be my choice also. If you can't get what you need just let me know, I have a friend who sells every type of valve and would be glad to ship to you.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Chelmer Valves are pretty good. Here ya go. I've used them many times. Even if your valves dont show on their search, it dosnt mean they cant get them, so give em a call. They should be able to sort you out. Do not be tempted by 'bargains from China' on ebay. Been there done that , phut bang wallop is quite a regular outcome.

Hotrox .

World Tube Audio.

Tube Depot.

The Tubestore.

Loads of em out there, just get clicking :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
Contacting the manufacturer would be my choice also. If you can't get what you need just let me know, I have a friend who sells every type of valve and would be glad to ship to you.

A link would be useful :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
acalex said:

A link would be useful :)

There is no link, it's a real shop in Antwerpen...the guy producing/repairing/modifying amplifiers who also sells tubes (included NOS). :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Ah I see , thanks anyway.

I can get you his email address and you can deal with him directly if needed. it is very knowledgeable and found some specific NOS valves for a friend of mine's preamplifier in Italy.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
No idea. Contact admin/mods and they may forward it to me if posting is a no no .

I will ask admin to give me your private email address if that's ok with you. So I can send it to you privately the contact

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts