very basic speaker question

thinktank24

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
XC-p01dab Panasonic

Hi Guys,

I have the above system, which came with 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers. The amp is rated at 4 ohms. If i were to get another set of speakers (btw only one pair supported) and did the speaker cable splitter thing. What speakers should i buy to be compatible with the amp? 4 ohm or 8 ohm or something else?

Thanks

THinktank24

What is the cable splitter thing?I'm not liking the sound of this,hope your not planning to drive two pairs of speakers from a single left +right channel.not a good idea..I see the system can come with some q acoustics concept 20's from one of the online retailers and the Panasonic is rated at 75 watts (a bit optimistic).The amp section should be able to drive speakers from 4-8 ohm,but it's sensitivity that defines how easy or hard a speaker is to drive,88-90 being an easy load and 84-86 is going to need an amp with plenty of watts and a meaty power supply.what speakers were supplied with your Panasonic?what's up with them that you need to change?

thinktank24

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your reply mark rose-smith, the speakers that came with it are fine, its just i wold like to run a couple of extra speakers to another room. is this not recommended in any way? btw i am not considering playing music at a loud setting, at the moment my amp goes to about 20 out of 100 in volume, just would like to get some use of this system in another room?

Thanks in advance

Thinktank24

Definitely not recommended,your warranty will be void for a start if anything does go wrong and you'll probably blow the amp.the speakers will demand more power than the amp can easily supply.I'm no engineer but it will probably over heat and blow . there is other ways of doing the multiroom music thing with sonos and other wireless speakers available,I'm not much into that side of things but I'm pretty sure if you ask the question on the forum,help is available,but whatever you do...don't go and buy more speakers to connect to the single set of speaker terminals.

Definitely not recommended,your warranty will be void for a start if anything does go wrong and you'll probably blow the amp.the speakers will demand more power than the amp can easily supply.I'm no engineer but it will probably over heat and blow . there is other ways of doing the multiroom music thing with sonos and other wireless speakers available,I'm not much into that side of things but I'm pretty sure if you ask the question on the forum,help is available,but whatever you do...don't go and buy more speakers to connect to the single set of speaker terminals.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi thinktank24, and welcome.

I tend to disagree with Mark. If the amp is supposed to drive a pair of 4 Ohm speakers, using it with two pairs of 8 Ohm speakers should work out fine, especially if you avoid high levels and don't use speakers with nasty impedance drops and phase angles. Of course you can't change the volume independently if you take it this way. But blowing the amp? Nah.

SteveR750

DocG said:

I tend to disagree with Mark. If the amp is supposed to drive a pair of 4 Ohm speakers, using it with two pairs of 8 Ohm speakers should work out fine, especially if you avoid high levels and don't use speakers with nasty impedance drops and phase angles. Of course you can't change the volume independently if you take it this way. But blowing the amp? Nah.

Speakers connected in parallel will half the overall impedance, fine so long as none of them drop below 8 ohms! I wouldn't do it, if you really must, connect them in series. Won't have much in the way of loud volume as your halving the voltage over two speakers compared to one; but at least you won't risk clipping your amp and frying your tweeters.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
DocG said:

Speakers connected in parallel will half the overall impedance, fine so long as none of them drop below 8 ohms!

As if a 4 Ohm speaker never drops below 4 Ohm? Let us agree to disagree here.

SteveR750

DocG said:
SteveR750 said:
DocG said:

Speakers connected in parallel will half the overall impedance, fine so long as none of them drop below 8 ohms!

As if a 4 Ohm speaker never drops below 4 Ohm? Let us agree to disagree here.

Exactly! :) I'm sure they do drop below 4 ohms, which exacerbates the problem further.

TRENDING THREADS