valve glow?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
my little dot has a soft glow but I have seen pictures of other little dots and the valves are quite bright - does the glow give you signs of the valves overall health? just curious and yes I have nothing better to do on my day off! :)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Don't have a clue re your amp but also enjoying a day off, hope to get round to getting my caspians back in action today or at the weekend.

At least you have the day to listen to your music and make a decision on your favourite track from your list.

Have a good day , enjoy your listening, , listening to Treat by Santana, maybe give it a go if that's your thing, have fun.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Well I'm going to be off in a bit to get the car MOT'd and finishing other tasks so not much time to listen to loads of tracks :) I've noticed the little tubes on the mk3 are clear on top - half clear and half silver coated...is there anything wrong with them...? Does anyone know?

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
You need not worry - the silver stuff will change white if air has entered the envelope indicating a dead valve, the placement doesn't matter. This only happens if it has been under mechanical stress, if say, the tip had been snapped off.

The construction of valves varies between different manufacturers so the glow will be different, some have covered heaters for example so you see very little at all. Also don't forget that some pictures are taken with a long exposure in a dark room.

Relax and enjoy your tubes 8)

TRENDING THREADS