V+ and white lines at top of picture.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
V+ and white lines at top of picture.

Part of two problems I have posted about. Some channels (Setanta: David Haye boxing being the latest)have a white line with black dashes in at the top of the picture.

The line runs almost all the way accross the top from left towards the end of the right, and is under a finger's width. It looks like the little advert scroll, but stretched accross the whole screen and less thick.

It isn't my TV as I have seen the same effect on my 37 inch LCD in the bedroom, with a different V+ box.

Why does this happen, and is it something that I have to put up with, or can I solve it? I presume it is a broadcast fault as I have seen it in two seperate set ups?

A

Anonymous

Not annoying....?

Thats not the point. What is it! I'll have to be more aware of which channels etc. It has been evident for a few weeks now on both my V+ set ups, on and off.
To the point where it seems to be a problem that needs to be dealt with.

A

Anonymous

Well, both my TV's are LCD 16:9.

Both are set up correctly, with hdmi from the V+. And the fault is only some channels some of the time. How can that be size setting? I'm not getting what you mean.

Are you saying i will see it with a stretched 4:3 broadcast (my V+ is set to stretch 4:3 in the settings menu). This can't be the reason as Sky Sports News is ok, as are other 4:3 channels.

As for the size, I agree it is small. But it is still something that shouldn't be there! Its the principal, not the size. A fault is a fault. There must be a reason...

It is on 539 Setanta Sports 2 as we speak. Like a line of white stiches about 4 cm each, with maybe 2cm of black inbetween, to just after half way (L to R). Every few seconds it flickers whiter across the whole top. It is just half a cm in height, but clearly there!

A

Anonymous

I've got two very clear pictures of it. Just need to work out how to get the thing online! Have to be tomorrow.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I see it sometimes slightly on the top of my Pioneer 428XD on analogue aerial broadcasts. I think its when the broadcaster transmits a program thats not correctly aligned within the boundaries of the stated picture resolution so the tv scans essentially over the edge of the picture.

A

Anonymous

Do the lines move at all? Are they dotted? If so, then you're looking at the full height with the ceefax control info visible. That's usually cropped by the TV.

A

Anonymous

159.jpg

162.jpg

A

Anonymous

after much palava, I have attached clear images of the issue.

Can anyone be 100% about what it is, and whether there is a fix? Is it just a problem there is no cure for?!

Thanks MUST go to PJPRO for his great "how to" guide. The forum could do with it as a main link. I'd have no clue how to sort out pics otherwise. Sorry they are so big... can't seem to make them smaller.

A

Anonymous

These look like Ceefax/control code to me. My TV has the option to alter the scan slightly. If yours does this, it'll cure the problem, but it will by definition crop the picture.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
SAP7:V+ and white lines at top of picture. Part of two problems I have posted about. Some channels (Setanta: David Haye boxing being the latest)have a white line with black dashes in at the top of the picture. The line runs almost all the way accross the top from left towards the end of the right, and is under a finger's width. It looks like the little advert scroll, but stretched accross the whole screen and less thick. It isn't my TV as I have seen the same effect on my 37 inch LCD in the bedroom, with a different V+ box. Why does this happen, and is it something that I have to put up with, or can I solve it? I presume it is a broadcast fault as I have seen it in two seperate set ups?I have exactly the same symptom with Sky HD box and a brand new Panasonic Plasma. Happened on Ch4 tonight but no set pattern as to which channel it happens on or when?

A

Anonymous

Had this really bad lately.... All sorts of stuff showing the line (e.g. reports during BBC news, music videos on V+ on demand, so a real spread of sources).

So I tried a few things, and solved the problem!! But I'm now more confused.

My Samsung TV (see spec below) is set to "JUST SCAN" in the picture settings. I have done this as I have read it is the best setting to use if you have HD?!

By changing it to 16:9 the white lines vanish on Virgin+ and all is well.

So what is JUST SCAN and what is going on? Next to the just scan setting there is a box that seems to let you move the picture in up/down left/right ways (at least this is how I interpet the visual icon). It has never made any difference to my picture and seems redundant.

So... what is going on, what setting should I use, and what is this whole white lines and Just Scan business??

(NB I have all sources into my Onk, and only one HD to my tv... so I do not have the option of different TV settings for different inputs (sources)).

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Yep, I get this too on Setanta, Dave and others. It's so small however, that I don't really find it annoying either. I put it down to having the tv set to "full pixel" rather than "normal". Normal seems to expand the picture so that it fills the full screen, and I think would get rid of the problem, but then I'd miss some of the picture and lose some of the resolution.

Perhaps should check your tv and see if you have a similar setting and try changing it.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
It is just noise on the edge of the picturea s it is being aletered to fit your screen size.

Easy fix is to set picture overscan (on Panasonics) or whatever it is called on your set to "on" when viewing SD.

On HD material this however can cause a lack of detail so set to "off" when viewing HD

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I have this problem also on Sci Fi channel, I have to turn on the Overscan setting, though it loses a bit of the picture turning this feature on. Its only a little bit, but its a little bit annoying!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts