Using UK hi-fi equipment in USA

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently moved from the UK to the USA, and took my fairly modest hi-fi with me. I use some fairly hefty step-up transformers to feed my kit, and apart from needing a new pulley for my turntable, everything works perfectly.

I'm planning some upgrades, and am far more interested in some UK kit than the US equivalents (there isn't much here that appeals in the mid-range - though there is plenty of frighteningly expensive high-end stuff).

My question is, am I doing myself (and my potential new equipment) a disservice by running it through transformers. Should I be looking to buy native 110V hi-fi equipment instead? Are there any potential timing issues caused by running a CD player designed for 50Hz power through 60Hz power (apologies if this question betrays a complete lack of technical knowledge).

Any advice welcome.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
You'll have no problems using step-up transformers. Timing in a CD player is controlled by an internal quartz clock circuit and is independent of mains frequency.

A

Anonymous

I've heart that quality of mains is a lot more variable than in the UK so conditioners make more sense over there but I don't think using a transformer would hurt. Having said that can you not get US spec uk kit over there rather than having to get it shipped over?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
It is possible to get a dedicated 230volt supply installed into your home in America if you would consider this option?

Ps audio also make power regenerators that can run either 110 or 230 volt at various frequencies when fed by either voltage.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll 2nd that 50hz/60hz should have no effect.
In Japan the Eastern half of the country runs at 50hz and the western half runs at 60hz, but they don't make different products for different parts of the country

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong here but I always assumed that the voltage supply to houses in the USA were 240V and was supplied on a three wire system (120-0-120). Think of it like a centre tap on a transformer with two 120V windings this is then split and fed through the house at 120V for the ring main and lighting and heavy current devices like cookers, tumble dryers etc run from 240V. You could have an electrician run a 240V feed from your fuse box for your Hi-Fi (don't know if your allowed to do that or not).

Alternately a large proportion of Hi-Fi equipment uses the same mains transformer for 120V or 240V as they have two 120V primary windings which are wired in parallel for 120V or series for 240V you just reconfigure the wiring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts