Using this instead of the PS3 for media ?

scene

Hi canada,

While researching for what to use for my Media PC I came across quite a few reviews of the Revo as a Streamer and they all seemed reasonably poisitive. My only comment would be, that if you're looking for a cheap streamer - I'd also look at the WD HD TV Live - It gets very good reviews and is even cheaper - I've seen it for around £100

Agree with scene here
emotion-21.gif

Available for £86.80 on Amazon.

Details on WD TV Live here.

A

Anonymous

Uhmm... Nice 1

I cant belive that has full support and the PS3 or Xbox cant be bothered to add one simple codec.

Prob going to sell my PS3 and buy a dedicated Blu-ray player and probably this, as dont really play games anymore.

More interested in Speakers now
emotion-2.gif

scene

SnowyJohn:Why that thing doesn't have n-wifi is beyond me.

If you're talking about the WD Live 1080p - I suppose they're making it to a price point and also with WiFi n being still draft at release, they probably didn't want the hassle. I suppose a wireless one will come along in due course... Suppose you can always slap a USB WiFi dongle in it...

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Isn't the device fairly recent? Is N wireless still 'draft'? I remember having a router a few years ago that claimed to be draft, which I assume is the equivalent of a green 'P' plate for new drivers...

My MBP has N, as does the iPad... as does the new Xbox... this little box could definitely do well with one at that price.

A

Anonymous

Going to play the rest of COD and Bioshock 2 and then maybe sell the PS3.

Torn between the Revo, which means I have full internet on the tv, or the Live system, which is cheaper and easier to stream from what it seems

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
canada16:
Going to play the rest of COD and Bioshock 2 and then maybe sell the PS3.

Have you tried playing COD online? ... I find it incredibly addictive! Providing I'm winning it's so enjoyable. If I'm not winning, I must play until I do!
emotion-11.gif
... selling may prove more difficult when addicted.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The R3610 seems really good.

There are a few players like the Western Digital now, but none of them seem to decode hi def audio, if that's needed. they bitstream it to the amp for decoding.

Plus being a computer the revo offers lots of other possibilities such as full internet access, games, and so on, and should be able to support any file types that you can find a codec for.

If you stick the free XBMC on it, which is one of the, if not the, best media centre application around it would be a very good media centre.

I've pretty much made my mind up that the revo, or another ION-based PC, will be my media centre / BluRay player going forward.

A

Anonymous

The PS3 can stream m2ts fils perfectly fine. If u describe the problems u are having it can probably be fixed. Simply renaming the files to be .mpg may well help.

If u get a pc - install Tversity on it as the media server (free) and use that to transcode formats the ps3 doesnt support natively. That way u get the best of both worlds - plays anything ur pc will, and with the ease of use of the ps3.

PC's make horrible blu-ray players from a video point of view.

A

Anonymous

LOL Not again.

Went through all the PS3 media server and tversity ect.. and the PS3 has a real hard time with MKV. M2TS files that has audio of DTS at 1080p with high bit rates

Copied my copy of something and its 10gb and it keeps stuttering, tried everything, and just dont want to encode things as thats how lazy I am
emotion-5.gif

So was hoping something would stream this no problem at all.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Lemmie guess, the ps3 is connected wirelessly to your network?

I use a PS3 as my media streaming device, reading video/music files from my NAS. Avi files (~700MBs) are read perfectly without a hitch, but obviously the video quality is far from great (directly related to the bitrate). I have recently started backing up my DVD collection to the NAS using the M4V container at relatively high quality - but care is needed in selecting the bitrate of the digital copy if the content is intended to be streamed. Most of my rips weigh in at around 1.5GB, which prove more troublesome for the G-speed connection between the NAS and PS3. Although the video files stream, there are occasional stutters in video/audio it's bearable - but far from ideal. THAT's why I've been looking at a n-wifi media streaming device (for example the WD live or the new Xbox - but I don't think this is officially DLNA complaint).

Two pieces of my media puzzle are missing to use in conjunction with my NAS (without the need of a PC running): Video streaming receiver and a network music player capable of being controlled with an iphone/ipad. Answers on a postcard please.

A

Anonymous

Have home plugs right now of 85mbps and bought 200mbps and still no real difference.

it seems to be more apparnt on files x264 1080p

my internet is quite fast at 13mb

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I think Sonos is the obvious answer if you want to access music on a NAS with an Touch / iPhone app. but there are other solutions.

All this re-encoding and lowering the video quality I don't think is any good. I want the best quality. XBMC will play ISOs off the LAN and spit out decoded HD audio over HDMI. Also, having a PC a server to a PS£, when it could be connected direct to the display jst always seems like a lot of trouble for nothing.

I don't think the video quality of any HTPC can be described as instantly inferior to all standalone players. Do you have any evidenct to back this up? On forums people have used the Revo on projectors, and have described the picture as very good, also comparing well to standalone players like the Panasonic BD35.

Though on that point I'd really like to start seeing reviews of HTPCs running things like XBMC against standard players. Don't want to open up an existing ongoing argument but now there's no DA conversion to be done PCs are probably better placed to compete with standalone players. Effectively the PS3 is a PC with a different processor.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Hey

Would I be able to hook this up to my amp and use it as a media streamer on my TV.

I am having problems with M2TS and MKV files streaming to the PS3 and had enough, and cant be bothered using mkv2vob all the time.

Seems quite cheap for what it is, as it has HDMI as well which is a bonus.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182588?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

Thanks

I had one of these and it's a very well made piece of kit. It's tiny, works very nicely and the wireless keyboard is great. However, a major issue for me, and one that made me send it back to Amazon, I couldn't get sound through the hdmi. Digital optical worked fine but I wanted HD audio and there seems to be a well known issue with the nvidia soundcard and AV receivers.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'd definitely want the audio over HDMI, but there definitely seem to be people using this in that way from reading reviews and forum posts.

I specifically asked if it could do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI, without any downsampling, just to be sure, and people seemed to be using it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kinda:
Thanks for the info. I'd definitely want the audio over HDMI, but there definitely seem to be people using this in that way from reading reviews and forum posts.

I specifically asked if it could do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI, without any downsampling, just to be sure, and people seemed to be using it.

Go for it then but buy through Amazon as they will take it back without question if need be. I will add, my HDX BD1 (which has it's issues and I would not recommend it for that reason) offers a much better picture over the Revo for mkv, avi, mp4 etc (every format).

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks. The BD1 wouldn't be any good to me as I don't think it does onboard HD audio decoding which I need.

Maybe the Dune player is something to look at, but from some reviews I've read it doesn't seem to have as slick an interface as I'd expect with XBMC.

If you can tell me what specifically was better on the BD1 than the Revo in terms of image that would be much appreciated. It'll help me to understand if it's something I'm worried about.

I get what I consider very good pictures on my projector from a Sagem freeview box, (with a decent channel like Film4 and box upscaling SD to 1080i), and from my XDE500 upscaling to 1080P, so I may not be too picky, but i like good motion and colours.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kinda:
Hello,

Thanks. The BD1 wouldn't be any good to me as I don't think it does onboard HD audio decoding which I need.

Maybe the Dune player is something to look at, but from some reviews I've read it doesn't seem to have as slick an interface as I'd expect with XBMC.

If you can tell me what specifically was better on the BD1 than the Revo in terms of image that would be much appreciated. It'll help me to understand if it's something I'm worried about.

I get what I consider very good pictures on my projector from a Sagem freeview box, (with a decent channel like Film4 and box upscaling SD to 1080i), and from my XDE500 upscaling to 1080P, so I may not be too picky, but i like good motion and colours.

well, it's a night and day difference. There is another BD1 owner on here and he prefers the BD1 for video over his high end pc. I get HD audio through my receiver but I'm pretty sure that the Revo won't decode HD audio either.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Revo will decode HD audio with the appropriate software, if information on the internet is to be believed.

I've got no axe to grind, I've not bought anything yet, but night and day with no backup just doesn't mean anything to me. I'd expect on that basis insipid or totaly overblown colours, more SD levels of detail than the HD being shown by the BD1, juddery motion and so on.

I've read reviews where on an 84" screen someone said they couldn't see the difference between Revo and Sony S350 BluRay.

It would be really good if we had reviews of these devices or could get demos of them, but as not real hifi it's a bit more difficult.

TRENDING THREADS