using a different brand cd player

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Advice appreciated! I currently own a ten year old teak reference300 series set of seperates. My question is this: is it possible to upgrade the CD player to something like the Marantz CD6003 or do I have to stick to a teak CD player...? Would I notice any increase in quality,or will the limiting factor always be the Teac amplifier...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I love kit with a classy wooden finish. No reason why you couldn't use another brand CD player. I used to use a Rotel CDP with an Arcam amp to good effect and I think WHF recommended the CD6003 to pair with the Yamaha S-500 amp.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your TEAC kit, so can't really comment on how much of an upgrade it would provide. The amp will limit things to a degree, but I think you'd probably hear some improvement, but I'm really just guessing here. I suspect you probably won't get too many answers just because not that many people would have heard and compared those pieces of kit.

tom2b said:
Advice appreciated! I currently own a ten year old teak reference300 series set of seperates. My question is this: is it possible to upgrade the CD player to something like the Marantz CD6003 or do I have to stick to a teak CD player...? Would I notice any increase in quality,or will the limiting factor always be the Teac amplifier...

Is this the all-in-one mini centre jobbie? If so I'm assuming you can, although not sure what improvements would/could be made.

matthewpiano

Reference 300 was a seperates system made up of mini components.

I have direct experience of the system because my Dad had one. IMO the CD player is the weakest part of it, and the amp is pretty decent for what it cost at the time. I also used to own a CD6003 and I'd say this should give you a very decent upgrade over the stock TEAC player. Only thing I would say is that the TEAC amp, though decent, won't get the best out of the Marantz so in time you'll probably end up changing the amp as well.

T

the record spot

Yes, the 300, like its bigger brother the Reference 500, was a separates system. I'd go along with MP - you've got the option to change each component as needed, but I'd probably go for a better amp at this stage, or at least try one out. If you like the CD player, then you could always try a separate DAC as well . On the other hand, if you want to minimise the number of boxes, this is not the most practical way to go.

Can you do a compare, to see what gives you the bigger improvement...might be the best option before you start splashing the cash around?
small-logo.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts