Used speakers to match Cyrus 8 amp?

abozo

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I've just obtained a used Cyrus 8 amp, with which I've already fallen in love despite only connecting it to a pair of humble Mission M73s.

I've read as much as I can find online and I've also asked on another forum for advice on used speakers to match this amp but I'm keen to get as many opinions as possible before I buy. Auditioning is more difficult on the used market.

My budget is £250 max, used. The room is about 16'x12' and I can easily keep the speakers away from walls.

I listen to a strange mix of heavily scored classical and indie/rock. My wife (still 18 at heart) listens to a lot of dance. Too much to ask for in one set of speakers?

What I really don't want to do is introduce bass boom. I've had a system like that before and consequently never used it.

I bought a Wharfedale SW150 a while ago to boost a thin, cheap system but I really don't mind saying goodbye to that. Or I could just connect it up and leave it off until my wife needs her bass fix?

I'm open to all opinions, advice and personal experience.

Thanks in advance.

abozo

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. After doing some research on those, I am quite tempted. But then I need some decent stands too.

I always have a problem with sticking to a budget in fear of missing out on something a little more expensive but much better. And now I'm even looking at some Audiovector Mi3 Supers that are going for £500. Glug. But I can't really audition them and if they don't suit my system/room.....

Any comments?

abozo said:
Thanks for your advice. After doing some research on those, I am quite tempted. But then I need some decent stands too.

I always have a problem with sticking to a budget in fear of missing out on something a little more expensive but much better. And now I'm even looking at some Audiovector Mi3 Supers that are going for £500. Glug. But I can't really audition them and if they don't suit my system/room.....

Any comments?

I've no experience of Audiovectors. Sorry can't comment. But if you're tempted try and source from a dealer that has a returns policy. Also make clear your situation. Any reputable dealer should understand and agree.

28marcus

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I've tried dynaudios and whilst awesome sound I always had a problem with imaging. I've tried, rega's and others and settled on S5e by Spendor. Great imaging, awesome depth, unfussy about positioning (unlike the dyn's). If you go to hi-fi for sale . com there are a couple of pairs for sale (not mine).

Like you you I play all sorts from indie rock to classical, jazz, dance and can't fault them.

good luck

28marcus

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I've tried dynaudios and whilst awesome sound I always had a problem with imaging. I've tried, rega's and others and settled on S5e by Spendor. Great imaging, awesome depth, unfussy about positioning (unlike the dyn's). If you go to hi-fi for sale . com there are a couple of pairs for sale (not mine).

Like you you I play all sorts from indie rock to classical, jazz, dance and can't fault them.

good luck

They are so good I had to say it twice.....don't know what happened there

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts