Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I plan on buying the new DAC Magic from CA when it finally hits Richer Sounds. Can I connect an Ipod to the DAC using USB? And if so, is this as good as using coxial or optical? Also, is this the best way of connecting an Ipod to stereo system?

Many thanks.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:I plan on buying the new DAC Magic from CA when it finally hits Richer Sounds. Can I connect an Ipod to the DAC using USB? And if so, is this as good as using coxial or optical? Also, is this the best way of connecting an Ipod to stereo system?

Many thanks.

Me too, but am not expecting it to. Interesting question though - will have to investigate.

Does it have to be an iPod? I'm connecting airport express to the mac and am going to use the digitial out into the dacmagic - presumably you have a PC and could do this also (albeit without remote control, unless it's an iPod Touch)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah but is the wrong end of USB - have only seen ipod-to-usb cables with the flat socket, not the fat six-sided one. Tell you what, I am def getting one so I can try when it arrives?

John, please explain Aiport Express to me?? I don't have an Ipod yet (the missus does and I would get one for this reason) and if I don't need one, that's great as I have a Sony 8gb phone.

I have a pc upstairs in my bedroom - it has a wireless router. Do I need ITunes to work the Express (not a problem)? Can you store lossless files in ITunes, if so can I use FLAC files?

Cheers in advance....

ps. Just been to RS and they didn't even know that a new DAC Magic had been made!! They are calling me tomorrow to let me know a date...

John Duncan

Right - Airport Express (£65) accepts a wireless (or wired, for that matter, I think, though I use wireless) signal from a PC or Mac and plays content through its 3.5mm headphone socket, which doubles as an optical out.

Its default MO is that it only plays iTunes content, so if you use another media manager you will need to get Airfoil, which is about $25 or something, and allows you to stream content from any application on your computer. iTunes only handles WAV or Apple Lossless by default, though I think some people have hacked it to use FLAC, so if you have a lot of FLAC files playing through something else, airfoil will be required.

One down-side of Airport Express is that it has no remote, unless you get the Remote Application for iPhone or iPod Touch - this may be a deal-breaker for you since iTunes is upstairs - is currently not a big deal for me as my Mac is fairly close by. There may be other solutions for controlling, but I haven't looked for them.

A Squeezebox does have a remote, of course, and may be a better solution for you?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:
One down-side of Airport Express is that it has no remote, unless you get the Remote Application for iPhone or iPod Touch - this may be a deal-breaker for you since iTunes is upstairs - is currently not a big deal for me as my Mac is fairly close by. There may be other solutions for controlling, but I haven't looked for them.

If you have a Bluetooth phone (or spare PDA lying around!) that runs Symbian 60 or Microsoft OS, check out Salling clicker - works perfectly for me on my Nokia 6120 (hardly a top-class phone!)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Am so buying that tonight.

That has me sold on the Airport Express! My phone isn't on the list as it's only been out a couple of months (SE W980i) but the 960 is on there and it has ticks in all the boxes!!

A

Anonymous

The only digital out from an iPod I've found is the Wadia iTransport, which does a clever Apple approved authentication with recent iPods and gets the digital signal from the iPod over the dock connector. see this WHF reviewÿhttp://whathifi.com/Review/Wadia-170-iTransport/ÿ

Everything else does through the internal DAC and then out via the dock in analog. I'm hoping that soon there will be cheaper options to the iTransport. However iTunes, an Airport Express and an iPhone with the Remote application will keep me happy soon.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts