USB DAC + AMP £1000-1500 to match Kef LS50

james_d123

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for some thoughts on what people would consider to match a pair of Kef LS50s. I found a good deal on a pair of open-box LS50s, so bought them to go in my study which is about 2.5m x 3.5m. My listening will mostly be near-field (sat at desk) and usually, though not always, at relatively low volume. Speakers will go on stands behind the desk, and kit hidden on a big shelf (i.e. doesn't matter how big or ugly it is, as long as it sounds good).

My only sources will be digital, primairly USB from an iMac, although I may add later a Sonos Connect (SPDIF) to link with the rest of the house. I can't believe I'll ever have need for an analogue input.

I'm therefore looking for either an all in one USB-DAC-Amp, or some combination of boxes for USB/DAC/pre/power. I'd like to stay around £1000, but could stretch possibly. My thoughts are:

- Cyrus 8 DAC/Qx (bit expensive, but could go ex-demo maybe, or Cyrus 6)

- Audiolab M-DAC + M-PWR

- (My current favourite) Audio-gd Precision 1 Amp and Audio-gd NFB-3 DAC

Any ideas?

James

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I can recommend the Leema Elements too - I had it for a while and enjoyed it. I have also had success with the Musical Fidelity M1 series (M1SDAC & M1PWR).

You might want to consider streaming in the future, particularly as you have an iMac. You may want to separate the Mac from the Hifi later (I did). In that case also consider devices that have streaming too, such as:

- Naim UnitiQute

- Naim UnitiLite

- Cyrus Streamline

james_d123

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for your thoughts so far.

With regard to streaming I'm pretty well covered, as I have seven Sonos devices spread all over the house - mostly Play:3s and Play:5s, and a Sonos Connect into a Yamaha home cinema amp. The Kef LS50s were a bit of an impulse buy, and I'd originally thought I'd match them to a Sonos Connect Amp - but don't think that'll do them justice, want to spend a bit more, and realise I'm sat at the computer in the study pretty much all the time anyway so streaming doesn't add much.

I like the look of the Leema Elements, but do you think going all-in one is sensible? A seperate DAC / Amp / Power Amp seems more upgradable for the future perhaps.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I had thought spending £500 or so on a dedictaed USB DAC, and £700 on an integrated amp would be a better option?

James

Tanihifi1

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am recommending Arcam FMJ A19/A28 + Arcam irDAC. I own those and make perfect pair with Focal Aria 906, but Arcam is advertising them with LS50's.I have no doubt they sound perfect with LS50's. But of course you must listen to them first. Do not buy blindly.

renokki

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Ive listen both on kef r300 and ls50.
Ls50 is more holographic than r300 but 300 has better bass.

Ive listenend to arcam a19 + irdac and also hegel h80 and hegel h100.

From those 3 hegel h80 with dac is the best.

Arcam a19 does have a lot power but hegel h80 much more. (also 87 db) So kef r100 and r300 has better power control (88 db) by a19

If you choose for ls50 always go for hegel h80.

The sound is much better. Always demo before you buy things!!!! (and if its 1500 pound then always demo, you don't talk about little money it's a choice for next 5 years. Or youve got enough money8)

Greets,

René

renokki

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Ive listen both on kef r300 and ls50.
Ls50 is more holographic than r300 but 300 has better bass.

Ive listenend to arcam a19 + irdac and also hegel h80 and hegel h100.

From those 3 hegel h80 with dac is the best.

Arcam a19 does have a lot power but hegel h80 much more. (also 87 db) So kef r100 and r300 has better power control (88 db) by a19

If you choose for ls50 always go for hegel h80.

The sound is much better. Always demo before you buy things!!!! (and if its 1500 pound then always demo, you don't talk about little money it's a choice for next 5 years. Or youve got enough money8)

Greets,

René

T

the record spot

Kill two birds with one stone. My TX-NR818 or the new 838 would work well.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Arcam A19 runs Kef Ls50 fine from low to low/med levels and is a good match.Owning both of them and as good the A19 is I wouldn´t recommend this combo because the Ls50 are much more capable,knowing this when I compare running them with a pair of Audiolab monos.

So if you go with a A19 or similar spec amp be prepared to add a power amp later or go direct for a more capable Integrated such as a Kandy2 or Arcam A38.

M-Dac and a 8200P from Audiolab would be a good and sufficient idea imo.

TRENDING THREADS