Usb cable length

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am buying a usb cable to run my PC to Dac and wonder if there is a max length before the sound quality is compromised.

Was going to get a 2m length but is out of stock so only available is 5 m length

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Hi

I am buying a usb cable to run my PC to Dac and wonder if there is a max length before the sound quality is compromised.

Was going to get a 2m length but is out of stock so only available is 5 m length

i believe its 3m.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe it depends whether the DAC is powered via the connected device or the DAC's internal power supply.

For example, I demoed the new Creek 50CD earlier this year and had intended running a 5 mtr long USB cable from a laptop into it. As the USB input in the 50CD was powered through the cable it did not recognise that a device was connected as it was too long. Creek informed me that a 3 mtr cablle was the maximum length it could support, but actually when I tried a 3 mtr cable that wouldn't work either!

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
MickyBlue said:

i believe its 3m.
USB 1.1: 3m for 1.5 Mbit/s, 5m for 12 Mbit/sUSB 2.0: 5mUSB 3.0: 3m This has nothing to do with audio performance but is related to USB's standard. http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq#cab1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts