URGENT HELP REGARDING YOUR REVIEW OF SAMSUNG PS-50Q97HDX!!!!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I was in the market for a new plasma as my old Panasonic was not HD ready and I was more than a little excited to read your "First Look" reviews of the Samsung ps-50q97hdx and Panasonic's new 50 inch screen. The review was instrumental in making up my mind how to spend my hard-earned and I opted for the Samsung screen. Upon its arrival, I was very disappointed to find that the motorised stand was missing. I went back to your reviews to check I'd read it properly and I had. To quote from the review, it states about the Samsung that it "... sits on a smart, motorised rotating stand..." Even your excellent Buyers' Guide at the back of the magazine states that the Samsung. "… it's flexible, too, thanks to its motorised stand."

I have spoken directly with Samsung representatives about this issue believing that I have recieved a faulty stand but I was advised that this model does NOT have a motorised stand, only a motorised wall bracket. I can't figure out how this has happened and would like to know where the motorised stand is that I thought came as part of the package with this particular model. Did Samsung send you a different model for your review thus inadvertently causing you to publish a misleading review, or was the review referring to a wall mounted bracket rather than a stand? If the latter, I believe that would make your review even more misleading after publishing that it " ...sits on a smart, motorised stand" that clearly implies that with the stands, the plasma is essentially a free standing piece of kit. If your review was refering to a wall bracket surely you would not have used the term "stand" instead of "bracket"? Moreover, surely a plasma does not sit on a wall, it hangs?

I got my new plasma for a decent price but thought that it would include the motorised stand. I am feeling very cheated and would be grateful if you would help to clear up this issue by advising me who is at fault; Samsung or your reviewer? Many thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All three testers who worked on this review (we never test in isolution) aren't around today, but i'll get them to post a detailed response ASAP.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
It appears we've been slightly misled ourselves, and therefore can only apologise for in turn doing the same to you...

Our review sample did have a motorized stand, and it can be bought with said stand, but this is OPTIONAL. There is also a basic rotating pedestal stand that isn't motorized, which it sounds like you have. At the time of writing we were under the impression that this motorized standard was the norm, but it seems it isn't - the Samsung website lists 'motorized mount control', which is again rather misleading.

We are waiting for Samsung to confirm how much extra the motorized stand is, but no doubt this is one of those things that will be rather dealer-dependent.

Apologies for the confusion, but I hope the above at least clears up the situation.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for clearing up the situation regarding the sample that Samsung sent you for review and that it did infact have a motorised stand and that you were led to believe that this was the norm. I too was misled by information supplied on Samsung's web site as it list in the spec both 'motorized mount control' and 'swivel' so what with the fact they are using your initial review of the screen on their website as a advertising tool would leave me good old Mr Punter to believe that I was infact getting the screen just as you recieved your sample screen for your review.

Now with all this info in hand I contacted Samsung uk via the phone and to be honest was quite frankly shocked by the response I was delt with. Firstly they said that the motorised stand was a optional extra, then they said that your review was refering to the wall mount and continued to say that the information supplied upon their website was in no way missleading even tho you and I both find it to be so. I continued to say that where they were using your review along with their info that as a member of the public found it to be so and here is where it gets even more funny, they then said that the motorised stand does not exist for this screen and that your magazine is at fault not them and as a company they are not prepaired to help me the mislead consumer in anyway at all as they have not supplied any missleading information.

Do you have any ideas as to what I should do next as all I am trying to do is get what I and even you guys thought the end consumer was going to get my nice new Plaz on a motorised stand.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I have read a review whereby a person bought two of these TV's and within the space of a year both the integrated Freeview tuners wnet 'kaput'. When the buyer approached Samsung he was told that they admitted that there was a fault with the Freeview tuners in them. Anyone else heard of this?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Are you sure that this fault was not with the older Q7 range as the Q97 has only been out for a few months. To be honest I have not used the freeview side of the tv as I have sky hd, but luckly enough I got a free 4 year warranty with my screen.

A

Anonymous

...........and the moral of your initial anecdote is too never take for granted any review you read and then buy something like a 50ins TV purely on spec........very dangerous. If you do, then always confirm the spec with the seller. For example had you, would you still have gone ahead with your purchase realising that the TV did not come with a motorised stand. I saw the 50Q97HDX in Comet last week comparing it against it's smaller brother the 42Q97HDX and I both just had normal fixed stands.

In general it's quite frightening that so many of us, I included in the past, rush our to buy all the Magazines and then rush out to buy something purely on spec.

For many years I have learned to use the Review Magazines as guides only.........Just because someone writes that the Pioneer PDP4270XD has great sound quality and a fabulous picture doesn't actually mean it has. You now need to go and confirm that for yourself. Also just because a Review states a product to have a 5* rating doesn't mean very much unless once again YOU are confident it has a 5* rating because you have both seen and heard it for yourself.

One very important thing to bear in mind is that, if YOU think the Picture on TV X is good and that the Sound is also good........then IT IS.........never mind what anyone else thinks or says to influence you otherwise. Buy by seeing and hearing for yourself and then you can be sure that what yur end up buying was worth it every last penny of your heard earned money

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't agree more, Tallyho. That's why we list on the front page of our Buyer's Guide, every single issue, the five golden rules to follow before you buy anything. It's on page 93 of the current issue, for example, but if people don't have them to hand, here's they are:

1) Get smart - use our tests and this Buyer's Guide to learn about the products. It pays to be spec-savvy.

2) Insist on a demonstration - arrange to audition any kit in a listening room or during a home trial - preferably not on a shop floor.

3) Take along your favourite discs - improving your system is all about you getting more from the music and movies you love, and spinning well-known CDs and DVDs will help you see and hear how products measure up.

4) Cheap doesn't mean good value - Search around and compare prices from a range of suppliers, but always consider service and support as part of the package

5) Take your time - Be sure you're happy with your choices. If in doubt, always ask - never rush your decision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts