northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Im thinking of buying a dvd player which can upscale to 1080p. Thing is i have a have a 6 yr old 32" pani widescreen crt tv. Is it pointless of me buying one til i have a plasma or lcd or wil they work fine with my current tv?

Cheers

Howard

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Howard,

You won't get any of the upscaling benefits of the DVD player on your existing set, and it'll need to be connected via Scart/component (depending on your set's spec), rather than the higher-quality HDMI output.

All depends how soon you want to buy that flatscreen - if you're planning to buy pretty soon, you could buy the player now and enjoy it on your existing set (a good DVD player should work well however you output its signal) in the meantime.

However, if you're not planning a set upgrade for some time, I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a feature-crammed player now, as they (and their HD DVD and Blu-ray offspring) are getting better-value all the time: your budget today will buy you a superior product in six months time, let alone a year.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clare

Thanks for the advice.

My set does have 2 scarts but obviously no hdmi. It was a top spec widescreen 6 yrs ago, how things change in such a short time! lol

If i upgrade i will probably go for the Panasonic px70 or the pz70. All depends on what deal and how healthy my bank account looks at the time too!

Regards

Howard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts