Upscaling to 1080p, confused.??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm slightly confused regarding the term "upscaling to 1080p" ive been informed that my Yammy will upscale to 1080p. so does that mean the SD picture quality run from my sky box into the yammy will be better than that of sky HD ? (as that only outputs at 720p.) But ive also been informed that by running the Sky to the TV via scart, will give me  better picture quality than running it thru the yammy via SVHS lead. so am i assuming that my TV upscales SD to 1080p ? because it certainly didnt say that on the box.  

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Christian Leyland:I'm slightly confused regarding the term "upscaling to 1080p" ive been informed that my Yammy will upscale to 1080p. so does that mean the SD picture quality run from my sky box into the yammy will be better than that of sky HD ? (as that only outputs at 720p.) But ive also been informed that by running the Sky to the TV via scart, will give me ÿbetter picture quality than running it thru the yammy via SVHS lead. so am i assuming that my TV upscales SD to 1080p ? because it certainly didnt say that on the box.

No, the SD picture will be an upscaled version of 486i or whatever Sky broadcast in. 1080i on Sky HD is real - no upscaling.

A

Anonymous

So in theory the yammy does not upscale to 1080p like it says on the box ? if so what is the point of saying it upscales to 1080p ?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The point is that upscaling involves creating extra pixels to fill in the gaps. ÿA typical SD image would otherwise only fill part of a typical widescreen TV. ÿUsing clever processing, the TV, amp, Blu-ray or DVD player makes a guess from the existing information to make the image larger. ÿThe quality of that image is better or worse according to the quality of the processing. ÿIt can never be as good as a 1080p image from Blu-ray, where all the information is genuine, rather than created by processing.

ÿÿ

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Christian Leyland:I'm slightly confused regarding the term "upscaling to 1080p" ive been informed that my Yammy will upscale to 1080p. so does that mean the SD picture quality run from my sky box into the yammy will be better than that of sky HD ? (as that only outputs at 720p.) But ive also been informed that by running the Sky to the TV via scart, will give me ÿbetter picture quality than running it thru the yammy via SVHS lead. so am i assuming that my TV upscales SD to 1080p ? because it certainly didnt say that on the box.Hi Christian,

Ive just read your post you left on my thread so i thought id answer you on yours, right..

Yes your yammy will upscale to 1080p this doesnt mean it will be better than sky HD as Sky HD is a native 1080i signal which means theres no upscaling required as the picture is mapped onto the screen pixel for pixel (if your tv is full HD) however, with your sky + box your amplifier has to upscale the picture to your tvs native resolution so therefore although the picture will be a big improvement it wont be as sharp & clear etc as a native HD signal.

I cant say if the upscaling will be great through S-Video as personally ive never tried it youll just have to give it a try & see how it goes. Using a good scart lead from your sky + box to your tv via RGB will give a great result as thats how i used to have mine set up youll just have to do an a/b comparison, but using a scart via RGB your tv will still upscale the picture accordingly as if it didnt youd just have a small box in the middle of your screen, all plasmas etc do there own upscaling aswell u see. Its up to you to decide which you prefer for the job?

Hope this as helped Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts