Upscaling a/v amps/receivers - why bother?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I found the upscaling tests in the latest mag (April 2009) very interesting; it would appear that the BD player will generaly outperform the amp in the upscaling stakes, which begs the question, "why have upscaling capabilities on the amp in the first place?"

Are there likely scenarios where this is a beneficial feature? I imagine a high-end amp might outperfrom a budget player but I'd consider such a pairing unusual, most people match their kit accordingly - hence the validity of the tests perfomed on different levels of equipment in the they were.

I only have a budget system including an amp with no upscaling capability, as and when I look to upgrade, why would I choose an amp with upscaling capabilities?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We were, of course, purely looking at upscaling DVD - there may be other sources you want to upgrade (eg standard-def content from a set-top TV box) that offer very poor (or no) upscaling.

For example, i've found higher-end receivers - think Onkyo 875 and upwards - much better at upscaling SD Sky content than the Sky+HD box itself.

A

Anonymous

Ah yes, of course. dur...
emotion-10.gif

Genuinely interesting article; helps in understanding how to get the most from your kit more in this vein please!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And it was an article that came out of discussions on these very Forums - so keep the ideas coming, and if enough people show interest, we'll give it a punt!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts