Uprgade time - views please.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Current system is Rega Apollo cd player and Mira3 intergrated amp with Proac 110s.

I have had the system about 2 years and happy with it (to a point) but lucky enough to have some money to spend I want to upgrade the cd/amp with something that I can then further upgrade down the line. I have started looking at Naim and Cyrus as a start point. First demo tomo with Naim cd5i, Nac 152xs, 155xs and Flatcap2 xs. Other option is push the boat out and go for cd5xs. Obviously my dealer is pushing the full monty but at nearly 4500 grand its a little over my range (was thinking more along 3k or so). Will listen but my other thought was keep the Rega cd and go for the 152/155 and flatcap and then change the cd at later date. Any one got any suggestions other than Cyrus and Naim worth a blast - again main caveat is upgrade for future and around the 3k mark. Also, views on NAIM Xs as I can not find a review anywhere??? Thanking you.

A

Anonymous

What do you want to change about the sound you have now? I presume that by aiming for Naim as a replacement for Rega you're after emphasis on rhythm and timing as opposed to accuracy?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd be looking at Bryston, Plinius, Unison Research, Cairn, Leema etc at that price level. I understand about upgradeability but some of these allow that be it an upgraded DAC, adding a power amp etc.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the Nait XS together with the CD5X and it was a billiant combination. It also had a substantial soundstage - not a Nait trait until the XS* - with great detail. (Rega RS1 and RS3 speakers used.) Actually it bowled me over.

You should be able to get a Nait XS plus CD5XS (new versions of both) for a little over £3K.

The Flatcap 2XS can always be added later if needed. (You only need one. It has outputs for two devices.)

*My Nait 5i/CD5i does more 'depth' than width. The XS has both in spades.

A

Anonymous

All, thankyou for your replies and comments. Chebby: sorry I didnt make the point clear enough. I meant specifically reviews of the new xs range - being Preamp NAC 152xs, Power Amp Nap 155xs and CD5xs - think its only been out a couple of weeks though. I was thinking more of pre/power combo rather than integrated - any views helpful again.

Joelslim: Other options suggested - gosh that throws a spanner in the works! Positives/negatives with those brands over something like NAIM/Cyrus? Sorry, aside Plinius these are not companies I am familiar with. Main advantage I have is that my local Audio T will give me a favourable discount due to repeat custom - they dont stock any of your suggestions?!!?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Nasher666:
All, thankyou for your replies and comments.ÿ Chebby: sorry I didnt make the point clear enough. I meant specifically reviews of the new xs range - being Preamp NAC 152xs, Power Amp Nap 155xs and CD5xsÿ - think its only been out a couple of weeks though.ÿ I was thinking more of pre/power combo rather than integrated - any views helpful again.ÿ

Joelslim: Other options suggested - gosh that throws a spanner in the works!ÿ Positives/negatives with those brands over something like NAIM/Cyrus? Sorry, aside Plinius these are not companies I am familiar with.ÿ Main advantage I have is that my local Audio T will give me a favourable discount due to repeat custom - they dont stock any of your suggestions?!!?

Hmmm. I only say it because the few times I've heard Naim and Cyrus I've found them to be thin-sounding, which isn't to my taste. That's not to sat that they wouldn't be spot on for some.

However, given a significant budget like yours I would definitely broaden my auditions with a few other highly recommended products from companies such as those I've mentioned. I'm pretty sure any decent dealer would bite your arm off and give you decent prices on a spend level like that.

All I would say is take a listen before deciding.

Or alternatively, like I do, buy on gut instinct and loads of reviews ie every review you can find on google. Then again, I know what sort of sound I like and so far have been proved right in all my purchases.

[kiss of death on the new CDP I will buy tomorrow no doubt]

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:kiss of death on the new CDP I will buy tomorrow no doubt

Well this is predictable. It will have to pass the "Joel's missus won't notice it" test and fit in a rack pupose built for only Arcam gear.

That only leaves a CD37 as an option. (The CD37 is "Chocolately smooth" according to the WHF review so will fit in nicely when Joel plays his Luther VanDross CD
emotion-2.gif
)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
JoelSim:kiss of death on the new CDP I will buy tomorrow no doubt

Well this is predictable. It will have to pass the "Joel's missus won't notice it" test and fit in a rack pupose built for only Arcam gear.

That only leaves a CD37 as an option. (The CD37 is "Chocolately smooth" according to the WHF review so will fit in nicely when Joel plays his Luther VanDross CD
emotion-2.gif
)

LOL.

It will just fit on the top of my rack, and shock/horror it's not an Arcam as none have a digital input.

I'm pretty sure it will have a similar sonic signature though Chebbster.

I'm very excited although I think it will look a bit odd in the short term with all the rest of my Arcams before I move house, buy a new rack and consolidate my hifi box number. This is where the hi-end starts in ernest. First the Kudos speakers, now the Unison Research, then a megaamp at some point in the not-too-distant future.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

After going round and back again (listened to Cyrus, found a Leema dealer who would not let me demo at home- only buy on Gtee refund!) and looking at pros and cons and obviously how it sounded. I went back to Naim so have gone for the new cd5xs with a fair discount and ex demo Pre/power amps. The new cd looks slighly different to the amps but so what - you can barely tell! Will add a flat cap at some point but for total spend of under £3k it sounds completely wonderful and I cannot fault it! Thanks all for your input/views.

TRENDING THREADS