Upgrading

Bruxner

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
As a classical music enthusiast, I have been trying to o understand how to benefit from the myriad of new ways to improve the quality of playing it. I have quite elderly amplification (Quad 66 and 606) but have recnetly bought Spendor A6 speakers which I find wonderful. Also a year or two ago I bought a Quad CDP-2 player and find that following the instructions by playing CDs directly into the power amp. (by-passing the pre.) gave significantly better reproduction. It gets better; I have now ventured into downloading from Passionato in FLAC, burning discs into WAV and these give a startlingly more realistic sound. The only limitation is the choice of top-rate performers of the music I am interested in.

My need for help and advice is this: would the use of a DAC producce even better sound? I am confused about their use because I have always assumed that a CD player has its own DAC within. But people seem to say that using for example a Cambridge DAC magic would enhance everything. Would it? Also, I am tempted to buy a Cambridge multi-disc player so as to be able to play SACD. Would that in fact be better than my downloading? Again, the availability of music recorded in that format seems to be a bit limited, though Linn does have some very attractive stuff.

Anyone who could comment would be much apprciated: the magazines I read have not so far given a simple man's guide to all these innovations which is what I need!

JB

A

Anonymous

The simplest answer is to find out the model of the DAC built into your CDP. Then look at reviews about that DAC. Then decide if the inbuilt DAC suits what you want from your system. eg. if reviews suggest it is a bright DAC but you would like a neutral sound, find a neutral sounding DAC.

The cambridge DAC magic is popular. Musical Fidelity have there new M1 DAC coming out soon or maybe out now :S not sure. But it looks super appealing.

T

the record spot

Another option is to find out which recordings are reckoned to be the "best" for the pieces you're interested in. By this I mean, not just the orchestra/conductor, but the recording itself, producer and if you can, the mastering engineer. A visit to the Steve Hoffman forum might be in order, there is a small and occasional Classical music posting there, but an excellent Search facility will help no end there.

TRENDING THREADS