Upgrading to Sky HD - can we keep Sky+ box and watch recorded content

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
We are upgrading to Sky HD this week. However we have hours of recorded content on our current Sky+ box. Can we keep this old box and will we be able to watch the content after we have switched to Sky HD, i.e. do we need a current Sky viewing card and does the box need to be connected to a satellite dish to work?

I am hoping to just stack it as another box with a finite shelf life (when we have finished watching the recorded programs we stop using it).

Thanks

Rich

A

Anonymous

emotion-11.gif

Upgrading to Sky HD

In the absence of more informed advice, assuming that you upgraded from SD sky so have both the single (SD) and double (HD) sat feed inputs, you can keep both your Sky+ box and your HD box connected with a combiner. Buy a Freesat card from Sky at £20, set your boxes to output on a different channel, tune two of your tv channels to those outs and you have two sets of Sky available to use at the same time. This is what I have done with the both boxes fed through an RF distribution unit to every room in the house. When the analogue signal is turned of I will add another two sky boxes in this way so that we can watch four different channels in different rooms at the same time.

emotion-53.gif

LEET1973

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
Richard8:

We are upgrading to Sky HD this week. However we have hours of recorded content on our current Sky+ box. Can we keep this old box and will we be able to watch the content after we have switched to Sky HD, i.e. do we need a current Sky viewing card and does the box need to be connected to a satellite dish to work?

I am hoping to just stack it as another box with a finite shelf life (when we have finished watching the recorded programs we stop using it).

Thanks

Rich

Hi

Had the same problem a few months ago.

I asked the Sky engineer and he said it wouldnt be possible as he would have to "pair" my viewing card to my new HD box.

However, after he left i give it a go.

Plugged one of the sky leads into the back of my old box, then inserted the sky viewing card into the old box and hey presto, could see all the TV i had previously recorded.

Kept one sky lead in my new box and one in the old box so i could record to my new box. Only inserted the viewing card into the old box when i needed to watch old content.

This worked until i had cleared my old box - about a week. Havent tested since.

Lee.

TRENDING THREADS