Upgrading My Turntable Old Style

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my turntable in the next couple of weeks but will be buying secondhand. My short list at the minute is

Rega Planar 3

AR EB101

Linn Axis

Had an EB101 many years ago and loved the sound and thought about going back to one of these but the Rega is a simpler design and also offers a better upgrade route. Don't really know much about the Linn but it's within my price range and always fancied a Linn but obviously an LP12 but that's quite a bit over budget. Believe the power supply on these is the achilles heal. As I'm buying secondhand chances are I won't beable to demo them so any thought much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

The AR turntable or the EB101 are good choices if you want suspended decks, and probably the best sounding of the ones you list. I'd go for the Linn Axis or the Linn Basik over the Rega, because to my ears they sound better yet go for less second hand.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have an AR with a modified plinth, fitted with a Rega RB251 arm and Ortofon 2M Red. It sounds absolutely marvellous and I am really enjoying listening to vinyl again. I cannot recommend this deck highly enough, it is that good.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your advice chaps.

Think I'm going to go for the EB101 if I can find a good one. I'm watching one at the moment but I think the price is a bit high at the minute. If I can't get one I'll go for the Linn.

Sabby what modifications have you made to your plinth?

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Troy62:
Thanks for your advice chaps.

Think I'm going to go for the EB101 if I can find a good one. I'm watching one at the moment but I think the price is a bit high at the minute. If I can't get one I'll go for the Linn.

Sabby what modifications have you made to your plinth?

Fortunately when I bought the AR it had already been modded by the previous owner. A completely new plinth had been fitted which really improved its appearance when compared to the original plinth. I don't think the new plinth would have affected sound quality though as it was merely a cosmetic change.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm now the proud owner of an EB101. Should be here sometime next week.

Can't wait
emotion-2.gif

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well the turntable has arrived. Unfortunately badly damaged due to poor packing
emotion-6.gif

The seller didn't fit the transit bolt or secure the tonearm so now the chassis has dropped and doesn't move as it should, the tonearm freely moves round on it's mount and when I unpacked it the stylus was sat on the platter so had been bouncing about and is probably now damaged. I wouldn't want to put it near my vinyl anyway. What a waste of a good turntable. She's finally agreed to refund me after loads of hassle, she actually told me it wasn't that bad and it wouldn't take me long to fix it all
emotion-3.gif

Anyway once I get the refund and with the money I've made from the sale of the Debut 3 I'm thinking of going for one of these as I don't fancy going down the secondhand route again.

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/inspirehifi/i2.html

Does anybody have any experience of these? They seem to get some good reviews and only one junction down the M1 from me so that's a bonus.

Lee

Sorry to read about the packaging disaster, Lee. What a silly seller!

I'm also toying with a return to vinyl, and resurrecting my old LP12, so by coincidence I had come across the same firm and their 'Vivid' revisions to the Linn. Not entirely persuaded yet, and was therefore interested to see the alternatives they sell.

Will follow any further replies here with interest.

Might you going there to listen, or are you brave enough to buy on trust?

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
nopiano:

Sorry to read about the packaging disaster, Lee. What a silly seller!

I'm also toying with a return to vinyl, and resurrecting my old LP12, so by coincidence I had come across the same firm and their 'Vivid' revisions to the Linn. Not entirely persuaded yet, and was therefore interested to see the alternatives they sell.

Will follow any further replies here with interest.

Might you going there to listen, or are you brave enough to buy on trust?

The Vivid Lp12 upgrades certainly look the part. Wish I had one, I'd get the upgrade just so I could stare at it
emotion-2.gif

I spoke to them today via email and he seems like a nice bloke. They haven't got any i2's in stock at the minute, be about 3-4 weeks. He did send me photo's of the Quest upgrade though, based on the Rega 3. So might have a look at that. Like I said it's only one junction down the M1 for me so I'll be going down to have a listen to both of them I think. I've asked him to let me know when they have further stock of the i2. The Eclipse looks stunning as well but well out of my price range unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts