Upgrading an archaic system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

This post is very similar to that posted about a week ago by Bleep. I am also new here and am seeking advice on building a new system for listening to my CD collection of classical, jazz and also rock.

Currently, my old system is one that I built many years ago and is falling apart: NAD 7240 PE receiver, Nakamichi DR-3, Marantz CD-67SE, Baby Advent II speakers. I don't listen to tapes on the tape deck anymore, and the speakers need replacement of the woofer foam. I don't have a television or watch movies, but I do listen to news on the radio, so I would need a tuner. I occasionally listen to music with Pandora through my MacBook, and for this I employ Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II. I would be willing to get rid of those if I could pipe it through the stereo system instead. Otherwise, I've been slow to change over to purchasing music on iTunes because of a preconceived notion that downloaded music is inferior to CD (which is inferior to vinyl - but I don't use my Technics turntable anymore either - so much for acting on preconceived notions).

My apartment is small, so I am somewhat limited by physical space. The room with the stereo is 6 m x 7 m with 3 m ceilings. The speakers and components have to be on shelves. Like Bleep, my priority is quality of stereo music. Unlike Bleep, I am technologically stuck but maybe can spend a little more (I am budgeting up to $4000 USD). I would be grateful for your suggestions.Thanks very much.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Can you give us an idea of what brands are available to you...the European ones can be expensive in the US, which can make it difficult to know what to recommend.

The room you have to fill is quite big, so small standmounts may struggle.

The fact that they have to be placed on a shelf, is also problematical:

- They may either need to be sealed, or designed to go close to the wall.
- Speakers on shelves are hard to get sound 100% right.

How big can they be?

I think you need to look at speakers with soft dome tweeters, and sweet sounding amps that could be Tubed or Hybrid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts