upgrade

Tuess

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm going to be doing a one off major upgrade to my system in the next few months and have started to do some research.

Currently I have Cyrus 6vs2, Cyrus Discmaster 8 Qx & ProAc Studio 140's. I'm not looking to change the speakers but looking to change both Amp and CD player. I rarely listen at great volume so am looking for as much detail as I can get from lowish volumes.

Budget will be £3000 - £3500.

I've been considering upgrading the Cyrus Kit to the 8XP D Qx and CD XT se+ though the upgrade scheme, which would leave me a little change to upgrade cables and possibly the stand or a PSX-R.

However with my desire for detail at low volume several people have advised me to look at valves and stick my current cyrus kit on ebay.

Any opinions gratefuly recieved.

For pure outright detail the Cyrus is unbeatable. However, for a combo that excels at low levels look at Arcam A38 and CD37, Primare I31 amp and CD or Leema Pulse and Stream MKIII. Would also suggest listening to Roksan Caspian M2. These suggestions will give you a moving musical ride and a better match for the ProAcs too, but the trade-off is a little less detail.

Tuess said:
Hi,

I'm going to be doing a one off major upgrade to my system in the next few months and have started to do some research.

Currently I have Cyrus 6vs2, Cyrus Discmaster 8 Qx & ProAc Studio 140's. I'm not looking to change the speakers but looking to change both Amp and CD player. I rarely listen at great volume so am looking for as much detail as I can get from lowish volumes.

Budget will be £3000 - £3500.

I've been considering upgrading the Cyrus Kit to the 8XP D Qx and CD XT se+ though the upgrade scheme, which would leave me a little change to upgrade cables and possibly the stand or a PSX-R.

However with my desire for detail at low volume several people have advised me to look at valves and stick my current cyrus kit on ebay.

Any opinions gratefuly recieved.

Hi tuess

I'll recommend that you should also hold on to to Discmaster 8 QX player as its performance is still good enough. A change of amplifier will give you the biggest return on your investment.

Amplifiers to consider are ATC's SIA2 -150 MK2 and if can stretch your budget then the new Plinius Hautonga.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i would suggest you look at trying a pair of mono x amps as they are now available at great prices and upgrade the amp via cyrus to the best pre amp you can afford. obviously the xp+ would be ideal if you can find the funds. keep the player as a transport. i moved to using a pair of 8powers in mono from an 8vs2 and find the greatest improvements are at lower volumes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts