Upgrade speakers or amp first?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently have an old Cambridge A5 amp , marantz 6004 cd player and eltax monitor111 speakers. Going to go upgrade the amp with the pm6004 and speakers with MA BX2. I can't afford to change both at the same time so what should I upgrade first?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
This is really hard. Any thing wrong with your current system? Im in a similar position but my gear is older (18 years) but a bit higher budget. I would demo some different gear and then decide, take your amp along if you can.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You have already an idea about the combo you want?

I will suggest to find the perfect combination first (source + amp + speakers) and then build it step by step.

This is what I have done with my system, I have chosen the combo I liked (source + amp + speakers), upgraded the amp first, added the source later and last took the speakers when finance permited (9 months later :D)

A

Anonymous

Gazza100

Amp first. The classic way of building a hifi system was always to do the speakers last. Why? Well because then you could tailor the right speakers to your kit to come out with the desired sound. Once you have your desired amp, it may result in a bright / forward / relaxed / warm sound - you really won't know till it's installed.

From there, you are then in the ideal position to select the correct speakers to balance your HiFi so you result in the sound output you desire. If you buy the speakers first, you're then in the more difficult position of trying to find a suitable amp that gives you the sound you want which is harder to do than the other way round. You are not guaranteed that your choice of speakers and amp are going to sound how you want them to, unless you've demoed them already.

This is the reason why you hear differing views of speakers from people - some say they're bright, others say they're laid back etc. All because of different amps / setups. But a pair of speakers that are wrong for one person might be perfect in counteracting any extreme your choice of amp has.

In my opinion, getting speakers first and then the amp last is putting the horse before the cart.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I always follow the rule that speakers and amp should go in tandem and only jointly can produce the sound one will enjoy. Therefore you first need to decide if the desired marantz-ma combo is right for you and then it doesn't matter in what sequence you buy them. The majority will tell you that speakers are the most critical part in the hifi link, and this is correct, but only if they are served by a proper amp.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
At that price range I would buy both together, some dealers may do interest free credit. One comment I have read about the 6004 is it is not that powerful so maybe best to choose speakers carefully.

Thinking about it I would probably get the amp first and then demo speakers to find the right ones, think it is easy that way round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts