upgrade: Smaller sized sub or subs to replace B&W AS6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello guys,

I`m looking to replace my b&w AS6 subwoofer, as i need a more compact sized one to be hidden inside a cabinet. Obviously it will be taken out of the cabinet when in play. I wouldnt mind 2 small subs instead of a large one. Maximum size should be less than 42cm. I would like the same sheer power of the AS6 but I would love to have a more agile sub, as the AS6 is a little bit slow for music, but very good for home cinema. I only turn the subs volume to about 30% and it shakes my room 9.5mX4.5mX2.7m, so i think 1 small sub would be enough.

What do you recommand?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
daspaceman:

Hello guys,

I`m looking to replace my b&w AS6 subwoofer, as i need a more compact sized one to be hidden inside a cabinet. Obviously it will be taken out of the cabinet when in play. I wouldnt mind 2 small subs instead of a large one. Maximum size should be less than 42cm. I would like the same sheer power of the AS6 but I would love to have a more agile sub, as the AS6 is a little bit slow for music, but very good for home cinema. I only turn the subs volume to about 30% and it shakes my room 9.5mX4.5mX2.7m, so i think 1 small sub would be enough.

What do you recommand?

Im on my 3rd active sub.
My first was a monitor audio ASW100 i think was its name. The problem i had with this was its lower frequency adjustment of 40hz, being too high to intergrate with the speakers properly for hifi use.

My second sub was a Rel Q201e. This was much better but too slow for music when used with anything other than budget speakers. Also it needed to be turned up to producew the really low stuff properly, then it didnt blend with the speakers properly.

I now have a Rel Strata 5 which is perfect for music but probably too big and heavy to hide away like you say.

The problem is, if you go for a small sub, like a Rel Quake say, you will not get the real lows at low volume levels like you do with a bigger sub.
Mj acoustics have a good range of subs that are supposed to be on par with Rel. Worth a listen anyway.

daspaceman:

Hello guys,

What do you recommand?

Hi daspaceman

If within budget than consider the new Monitor Audio Silver RXW-12. It is certainly smaller than the AS6 (with or without the feet and grille attached). The RXW-12 is a great all rounder an one that will in terms of quality match the rest of your components.

Btw, one RXW-12 will be more than enough.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:daspaceman:

Hello guys,

What do you recommand?

Hi daspaceman

If within budget than consider the new Monitor Audio Silver RXW-12. It is certainly smaller than the AS6 (with or without the feet and grille attached). The RXW-12 is a great all rounder an one that will in terms of quality match the rest of your components.

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Seems like it`s a good option, and size isnt that big. Can a subwoofer be left inside a cabinet, or it may damage it. how does the monitor audio sub compare to the BK Electrics XLS200?

daspaceman:MUSICRAFT:daspaceman:

Hello guys,

What do you recommand?

Hi daspaceman

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Seems like it`s a good option, and size isnt that big. Can a subwoofer be left inside a cabinet, or it may damage it. how does the monitor audio sub compare to the BK Electrics XLS200?

hi daspaceman

The RXW-12 is not too big however it is like a pocket rocket.
emotion-2.gif
I would not leave a quality sub like the RXW-12 insisde a cabinet though. I have not heard the XLS200.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts