Upgrade or replace Pro-ject Debut II

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had a Pro-ject Debut II turntable for almost 11 years now and have largely been satisfied with its sound. However as the rest of my kit has improved its flaws have become more noticeable.

In particular, there is a noticeable rumble on some records and I wonder whether it would be advantageous to change the platter from the supplied metal one to acrylic.

Alternatively, I have considered that it may be time to move up to a more expensive turntable such as the Rega P3 or Pro-ject RPM 5. Clearly, I don't want to be spending hundreds of pounds just for the sake of it but wonder what advice you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Luke

A

Anonymous

the rega is the option id go for

upgrading the project isnt going to help as the noise you describe seems to be inherent in the design

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I'm going to audition a Pro-ject RPM 5.2 at Audio-T next Saturday. (Nowhere I could find locally appears to stock the Rega, a fact which surprised me somewhat.)

The chap in Sight and Sound was quite keen to recommend a Thorens to me but is unable to demo them as they have none in stock and "didn't want to be lumbered with one"!

A

Anonymous

As a previous owner I'd highly recommend a Rega P3. You can pick them up at good prices, new or s/h. The best thing is the arm which you can keep upgrading and should you ever wish to buy a more expensive TT you can take your investment in your arm with you!

Super TT's, easy to set up and maintain, good resale value.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Having enjoyed a tremendous audition of the RPM 5.2 and not having been able to find anywhere locally to audition the Rega, I've just placed a deposit on the former.

A

Anonymous

Sorry if this is a bit late, but if you're quick there's a chap (Bourney, regular wammer) on Hifiwigwam who's selling a RPM5 for about £200 ish

A

Anonymous

Not just a bit late but also irritatingly convenient. The chap lives within walking distance of my in-laws but my cash is now with my friendly local retailer.

Thanks all the same.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
longwayround sorry this doesn't have to do with the vinyl player but with the yamaha amp. is it good? had another amp before to compare it to?is it balanced across the range?do you like it?

A

Anonymous

Yep, I like the amp. I've had it since December 2000 and it has been my first separate amp, replacing as it did a 1991 Aiwa midi system.

As far as comparisons are concerned, I can only compare with what I've heard in hi-fi shops and I've not been tempted by other amps in a similar price bracket. For the music I listen to, which is predominantly the likes of the Kinks, the Stones, the Who and the like I'd say it's very good. Having said that, if I had a spare £500 (which I don't, having just bought a new turntable!) then I'd happily start auditioning candidates for this decade's amp.

Benzjammin1980

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same setup since about 2002...

Pro-Ject Debut II turntable
Sony TA-FE 530R Amp
Sony CDXE570 CD Player
Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 speakers on Mission Stance stands

I've longed for a pair of Quad 11L speakers since they were launched and finally treated myself to a pair of the 11L2's for the bargain sum of £130.

I got them home and wired up then put Ben Howards 'The Fear' on my turntable....
I was utterly devestated by the lack of oomph and bass compared to the Wharfedales.
Jagged Little Pill was no better.

I tried a few RHCP and Foo Fighters CDs and these were not quite as dissapointing but still lacking in overall power.

Have i shot myself in the foot or do i just need a better amp?

I'm considering either an Arcam A75 or Marantz PM6010se. Please help!!!

Ben

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts