Upgrade of tv. But do I go for tv + freesat box or tv with freesat included?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my tv for a larger one and there's no end of choice available, perhaps too much some might add. Current tv is a Toshiba 32" and its done its job for the past few years with no complaints. I am subscribing to sky at the moment - full package except 3D channel. I also have the Sony BDV 370 package which is excellent. i am looking to terminate my contract with Sky. Having had it for the past year, my wife and I have concluded that we don't make full use of its offerings.

I'm looking at 46 or 50 inch as a size. However the matter of freesat is the question. Do I purchase a quality tv and freesat box, seeing that the Humax Foxsat is recommended or go for a Panasonic or other freesat inclusive tv. Picture and sound quality is important and costs can be worked on - without being silly.

I have been a regular observer to the forums and made several puchases on the strength of What Hi Fi in the past so it goes without saying all advice is welcome.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Have you checked out when Freeview HD will be available in your area? I've thought about the Freesat route but can't help thinking it doesn't have a great future...

mickeyh

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
I have a couple of friends who have sony freesat tvs , i have the humax foxsat+ and we are all agree picture quality is superior to freeveiew , also i think freesat is here to stay , were not talking about itv digital which was a mess from the start.

so in answer to your question either would be fine ,

A

Anonymous

freesat will be around for time to come as is the only alternative to non freeview areas at the moment that was the whole thinking behind freesat. i would go the freesat box and telly as some internal freesat tuners are not that reliable and if that goes you will have the same problem with having to shell out for new kit again, plus you might sacrafice some of the t.v`s features because of the built in freesat punchline. hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

So far so good. Thanks to you al. So lets go with the Humax and tv combinztion. Preferred / suggested tv's?

A

Anonymous

thats what i would have gone for aswell the tv/ box combo happy hunting!!!

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Well the panasonics have freesat tuners built in along with freeview so you get the best of both worlds.. also they will allow you to record to usb hard disk.. its not as flexible as a pvr.. but its handy.. we use it a bit.. we have sky hd for most work... but the odd time we are recording two programs and want to watch something else.. tis handy to have the freesat tuner available in the tv - if your used of the flexibility of sky i would go the freesat plus box route.. and run the extra cable to the tv as well.. just for that extra bit of flexibility

puffybear:So far so good. Thanks to you al. So lets go with the Humax and tv combinztion. Preferred / suggested tv's?

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a Foxsat+ HDR and I enjoy the occasional programmes on BBC HD and ITV HD (far less ITV HD though I must add...)

BBC1 HD is going to release on the 3rd of November. I'd like to think that a few more HD channels will be available on Freesat in the future. "You pays your money, you takes your chances!"

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all comments. TV and Satbox it is. I will now embark on the mission. . . . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts