upgrade my panny plasma to????

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
hi all. based on good reviews on here we bought the panasonic viera TH-42PX70BA plasma tv about 4 years ago.

it has really done us proud. However we have moved house and need another TV for a 'den'. we like the panny its HD ready as opposed to full HD. which I dont really know anything about. Its breviws were that it handled striaigh broadcast channels well.and it does. this is important tot he missus.

anyway. We need another tv. so do we spend about 350 on a basic panny or LG LED 42 inch for the 'den'? or do we spend about 600-700 and 'upgrade' the panny plasma for the living room. thus putting the panny plasma in the den>.

have things advanced so well that the 600-700 quid new tv would blow us away. ot is out panny a bit of a classic that will cost a lot more to beat.

over to you guys...

any ideas much apprciated.

paul

D

Deleted member 2457

method man said:
hi all. based on good reviews on here we bought the panasonic viera TH-42PX70BA plasma tv about 4 years ago.

it has really done us proud. However we have moved house and need another TV for a 'den'. we like the panny its HD ready as opposed to full HD. which I dont really know anything about. Its breviws were that it handled striaigh broadcast channels well.and it does. this is important tot he missus.

anyway. We need another tv. so do we spend about 350 on a basic panny or LG LED 42 inch for the 'den'? or do we spend about 600-700 and 'upgrade' the panny plasma for the living room. thus putting the panny plasma in the den>.

have things advanced so well that the 600-700 quid new tv would blow us away. ot is out panny a bit of a classic that will cost a lot more to beat.

over to you guys...

any ideas much apprciated.

paul

Hi

You have the same TV as my brother in law and I was recently telling him about the Panasonic St50 and how good it was. But yeah your TV is still really good. My dad got his 42 inch Pioneer at the same time and they both have lasted the course and are still among the best. I have just seen the 42 st50 at Hispek.com for £800 and you get the 3d glasses too, it could be worth looking around for deals on this TV. It is certainly the biggest upgrade I have seen since your TV.

Bradybunch1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that has changed in four years is 50" full HD is cheaper now than a 42" HD set was back in the day. Picture quality is much the same. The tough part is trying to find a TV without the 3d gimmick and online accessability nonsense.

I would suggest putting the 42" in the den and gettting a 50" for your living room and full HD especially if you watch mostly HD tv and blu ray movies.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
thanks guys. 42 is big enough really. i dont like the TV to dominate the room. viewing space is such that i could go 50 or 55 but

they just look enormous to me. must be my age. :oops:

we arent bothered about 3d. but my son might be in a few years ( hes 5).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
method man said:
thanks guys. 42 is big enough really. i dont like the TV to dominate the room. viewing space is such that i could go 50 or 55 but

we arent bothered about 3d. but my son might be in a few years ( hes 5).

If you're interested in a TV above mid price points, it'll have 3D, but this shouldn't be seen as a problem. The worst case scenario is that you never use the 3D function, but you really lose nothing by owning a 3D-ready TV.

I'd also disagree that picture performance has remained largely stagnant during the last four years. I've owned two Panasonic plasmas during this period, and the newer model offers a remarkable leap in performance. I had a brief demo of an ST50 yesterday and it really is a teriffic television, particularly at the price.

I mean no disrespect to your current television, but I'd be extremely surprised if you don't find that the ST50 trounces it in terms of picture performance. The only way to know for sure is to audition an ST50 and see how it compares.

Bradybunch1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I went from 42 to 50 and was suprised how little more space it took up and really different feel anymore imposing in the room.

Got Panny plasma like youself.

42PX80 - HD terrific

50G30 - Full HD and just as terrific - and cheaper than the 42" when I bought it around March - the end of the line stock just before they release the next years models. I love Spring.....

method man said:

Within a week of owning a 50-inch TV, you won't find it enormous! :)

Our eyes (& brain) get rapidly adjusted to the bigger size. You'll be glad to own a bigger set.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys.

A quick update. we went down the route of a cheap TV rather than an upgrade. Two reasons. not interested in 3D as it stands right now. 'smart' tvs seem a dissapoinment to most. Went plasma, as , having looked around in some stores. even the expensive LEDs cant match a panny plasma . Are these people blind? LOL

anyway. i did 330 quid on ths at amazon
Panasonic TX-P42X50B 42-inch Widescreen Plasma TV HD ready with Freeview HD - Black

I was amazed that the picture quality actually seems to beat our other set. at 330 quid..... it also has hd freeview as a bonus. as i dont intend to multiroom it with sky.

AND. it has a usb in. that succesfully played all the digital content that i thru at it. its in the 'games' room. lucky boys.

8195129307_79bc59d2c2_n.jpg

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Bradybunch1 said:
The only thing that has changed in four years is 50" full HD is cheaper now than a 42" HD set was back in the day. Picture quality is much the same. The tough part is trying to find a TV without the 3d gimmick and online accessability nonsense.

Sorry, but I honestly don't agree with these observations.

First of all, picture quality has improved dramatically on Panasonic plasmas during the last four years. I've owned two Panasonic plasma televisions during this period and noticed a large step up in performance.

Furthermore, I don't understand your objection to 3D and online capability.

What's the problem with having a television that allows you to access online content? At worst it's a feature people will never use. Since all televisions offer this functionality without introducing price hikes (you're paying less for a comparably sized mid-to-high-end plasma now than four years ago), there really isn't an issue.

With regard to 3D, even if users have no interest in 3D content, there are knock-on benefits with 2D performance (fast decaying phosphors improve 2D motion).

Glad the OP found a cheaper set and is happy with it! If this is an improvement over his older Panny, it helps demonstrate my point.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
hi strapped. I know you post isnt directed at me. but for good order. the reason i didnt bother with paying more

for 'smart' particularly. thought its soemthing I would have ilked in there. was that after reading many independent owner reviews. most of the 'smart' tvs fall down in exactly that area. if your lucky you can get an intermittent iplayer etc...

and it was going to cost me a lot more. So i figured save the money . we are happy with the downstairs older panny plasma

the new one at 330 is way bette than we hoped. so we can now wait 4 or 5 years and see whats going on and have a really worthwhile upgrade then.

D

Deleted member 2457

The best purchases are the ones that are really good but don't cost as much. Panasonic seem to be quite good at this!
smiley-cool.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
method man said:
hi strapped. I know you post isnt directed at me. but for good order. the reason i didnt bother with paying more

for 'smart' particularly. thought its soemthing I would have ilked in there. was that after reading many independent owner reviews. most of the 'smart' tvs fall down in exactly that area. if your lucky you can get an intermittent iplayer etc...

and it was going to cost me a lot more. So i figured save the money . we are happy with the downstairs older panny plasma

the new one at 330 is way bette than we hoped. so we can now wait 4 or 5 years and see whats going on and have a really worthwhile upgrade then.

That's fair enough. Many smart features are available through other devices such as Blu-ray players or the PS3. You would have noticed a worthwhile improvement in picture performance again if you'd looked higher up the Panasonic range, though of course you'd have paid a fair bit more.

For what it's worth, it sounds like you got a fantastic deal and I'm glad you're happy. Enjoy!

strapped for cash said:
Bradybunch1 said:

Sorry, but I honestly don't agree with these observations.

First of all, picture quality has improved dramatically on Panasonic plasmas during the last four years. I've owned two Panasonic plasma televisions during this period and noticed a large step up in performance.

Furthermore, I don't understand your objection to 3D and online capability.

What's the problem with having a television that allows you to access online content? At worst it's a feature people will never use. Since all televisions offer this functionality without introducing price hikes (you're paying less for a comparably sized mid-to-high-end plasma now than four years ago), there really isn't an issue.

With regard to 3D, even if users have no interest in 3D content, there are knock-on benefits with 2D performance (fast decaying phosphors improve 2D motion).

Glad the OP found a cheaper set and is happy with it! If this is an improvement over his older Panny, it helps demonstrate my point.

Agreed (Gosh! The number of things we agree upon is increasing!!) :)

Competition prevents manufacturers releasing high end sets without smart features & 3D.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
This years Pannys Plasma's are all using the same plasma screen, so picture quality is across the board even with the budget and as you go up the range you get better internal specs and build quality

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Interesting thread. Seeing as the TV gurus are here, what's the general consensus on upgrading my 37" 720p Panny plasma of a similar vintage to method mans, to one of the newer ones? I don't watch much in the way of HD - just sport on Sky once a week or so (my bluray player has been used once and is now in a kitchen cupboard), won't be watchng anything in 3d, and really can't see me using any smart features. A bigger screen would be nice, probably a 46", as would an optical out, but my biggest issue is whenever I pop into a TV shop the latest models seem worse then my TV with standard def. Is this because they are worse due to having to upscale more, or poor setup in the shop?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
The number of things we agree upon is increasing!!

That's four times this year by my reckoning! I think we're generally in accord if we avoid political threads. That said, I tend to upset more people than yourself once on my soapbox...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
landzw said:
This years Pannys Plasma's are all using the same plasma screen, so picture quality is across the board even with the budget and as you go up the range you get better internal specs and build quality

As I understand it, only the ST50 and above use G15 panels. ST50 and GT50 models use the "Infinite Black Pro" filter, while the VT50 uses the "Infinite Black Ultra" filter. You've also got more advanced calibration options on the GT50 and VT50, as well as faster response times and higher shades of colour gradation. It's not just functionality that differentiates Panasonic plasmas.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
landzw said:

As I understand it, only the ST50 and above use G15 panels. ST50 and GT50 models use the "Infinite Black Pro" filter, while the VT50 uses the "Infinite Black Ultra" filter. You've also got more advanced calibration options on the GT50 and VT50, as well as faster response times and higher shades of colour gradation. It's not just functionality that differentiates Panasonic plasmas.

Ok from what have been reading / research on the web as i'm currently looking for a new plasma is all the 2012 plasma panels are using the G15 panel in panasonics lineup and its not until the ST model and up they start using Infinite Black Pro Filter.

I have been paying alot of interest in the UT models due to costs and having a dark living room, i know there was a review i came across but can't find it now though Panasonics website tells you

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/Plasma+TV/TX-P42X50B/Specification/9276441/index.html?trackInfo=true

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/2012+Smart+VIERA+Plasma+TV/TX-P42UT50B/Specification/9035080/index.html?trackInfo=true

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What I can say, having spent some time watching a 50X50 in store, is that it's a solid performer for the price (I haven't seen a UT50 in action). I think it's only 720p, though. I stand corrected on the G15 panel.

The most distracting issue with the X50 was the degree to which reflections were visible. It's worth noting that the same would be true of the UT50. However, I viewed the X50 under bright store lighting and if, as you observe, you're watching in a light controlled environment, this becomes less of an issue.

As I'm sure you know, the UT50 won't give you the same kind of dynamic contrast as the ST50 and above. The UT50 may be the right choice for your needs and budget, but there's little difference in price should an ST50 take your fancy...

Paul.

So what time of year do TVs reduce in price? I have a Panasonic LCD which I have had for quite a while, and the bezel and speakers are so large a 42" plasma would take up less space than my 37"! I have noticed the 42ST50 on richer sounds web page for £699, or £799 on the panasonic store web page with a six year warranty which seems like a really good deal. I am in no hurry however...

New TVs are usually out April May ish aren't they? How long do I have to wait for a bargain? I don't want to wait until May ish but am happy to wait until new year if you think I could get a good deal. I am happy with £700 ish but would rather have a GT for my money :)

Obviously you guys can't see in to the future, but guessing from patterns from previous years, is there any point in me waiting until new year?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
In my experience, once the following year's sets are unveiled at CES, prices start to fall more steeply. I bought my V20 in March 2011 from Peter Tyson for almost half the original rrp. It was brand new (not refurbished or returned stock). At least that's how it was listed on the retailer's website and there was nothing about the TV or packaging to suggest otherwise.

If you're patient enough, and not concerned by the fact that your new television will immediately be bettered by the following year's model, there are bargains to be had. Feb to March may be the optimum time, as long as you can still track down stock. That's the risk you take, I guess.

Buying just before stocks are replaced by next year's kit has been my pauper's method of building a relatively high-end home cinema system. Unfortunately, any financial benefits are offset by my upgraditis. :doh:

Look at the sales on Boxing Day; you may get a nice deal.

Given that Panasonic is continuing heavy losses in its TV business, if it decides to stop making anymore TVs, current stock will quickly be gobbled up & prices can go up. Of course, this is a theoretical situation.

D

Deleted member 2457

Craig M. said:
Interesting thread. Seeing as the TV gurus are here, what's the general consensus on upgrading my 37" 720p Panny plasma of a similar vintage to method mans, to one of the newer ones? I don't watch much in the way of HD - just sport on Sky once a week or so (my bluray player has been used once and is now in a kitchen cupboard), won't be watchng anything in 3d, and really can't see me using any smart features. A bigger screen would be nice, probably a 46", as would an optical out, but my biggest issue is whenever I pop into a TV shop the latest models seem worse then my TV with standard def. Is this because they are worse due to having to upscale more, or poor setup in the shop?

This years are good with standard definition. Tennis and football look the best I have seen on a TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Look at the sales on Boxing Day; you may get a nice deal.

Given that Panasonic is continuing heavy losses in its TV business, if it decides to stop making anymore TVs, current stock will quickly be gobbled up & prices can go up. Of course, this is a theoretical situation.

If this happens I will probably buy another one! Probably should decide which one and get my plan in place! It will be either the ST or another GT, probably a ST.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts