Upgrade Marantz PM6010-KI Sig amp - recommendations?

T

the record spot

Looking to improve my amp - any suggestions? The 6010KI is no slouch - originally £400 good tonal balance, but I'm looking to up the performance for the SA7001-KI as it's a little "dry" albeit tonally clear. Budget, circa £700 tops. Used obviously welcome as well as new.

matthewpiano

In that case steer clear of the Cambridge 740A - it will just give you more of the same. Not heard the 840A so can't comment on that.

Bit off-the-wall this one, but what about seeking out a used Sugden?

T

the record spot

Sugden? Oooo, hadn't thought of them - what's the tonal quality like for the one you had in mind?

matthewpiano

I'd describe it as warm and musical but without sacrificing detail levels. You might hate it, and its not going to be easy hunting one down but I think they are rather special so I'd certainly try to hear one. I think it was the A21 I heard (a couple of years old).

A

Anonymous

A used PM17, or maybe even a PM14 if you want to make a good step up.

T

the record spot

Okay, there's food for thought in some of those - but a few questions.

Given the 6010KI was a £400 amp - conservatively priced IMO - would the Kandy and 7001 amps be a significant step-up from where I am now? Likewise the Cyrus (a lean sound I want to avoid incidentally).

It seems to me like the Primare and Sugden's represent real advances as opposed to a slightly sideways with a bit of forward shuffle - as it were!

I'm looking for quite an advance - I've seen an Eastern Electric valve amp (8w per channel - whoa!) too. Ex-display for a very good price. The Primare and Sugden go into that bracket for me. Just a case of trying to listen to some now...!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts